Toyota R5 Specs

Started by 40 Chev, June 08, 2004, 07:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev

I stopped by a friends welding shop today and found out he had torn the motor out of his forklift, he had the block and heads sent out to be redone and had started to reassemble the thing. The problem is he doesn't have a manual and is not that familiar with engines, I can help him out a bit but I just had surgery and am not that mobile yet. I'm almost positive he doesn't have the timing right as the marks on the crank and cam sprockets don't line up to anything. Does anybody know where I can get on line info on the thing: best guess is that it's a 82 Toyota R5 engine?? :wink:

phat46

Quote from: "40 Chev"I stopped by a friends welding shop today and found out he had torn the motor out of his forklift, he had the block and heads sent out to be redone and had started to reassemble the thing. The problem is he doesn't have a manual and is not that familiar with engines, I can help him out a bit but I just had surgery and am not that mobile yet. I'm almost positive he doesn't have the timing right as the marks on the crank and cam sprockets don't line up to anything. Does anybody know where I can get on line info on the thing: best guess is that it's a 82 Toyota R5 engine?? :wink:

Have you tried a local library yet? I can usually find a manual there for whatever i'm working on.

40 Chev

Went to the library today, LOL, I found all kinds regular Toyota stuff but nothing on this particular engine. I'm guessing that Toyota forklifts had an industrial type engine in them this one is a OHV and not an OHC like you would expect. Perhaps tomorrow I'll try a forklift repair shop and see if I can pry some info out of them.

enjenjo

If you have a model number, we may have a book at work I can get copies of. We have used several models of Toyota lift trucks.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40 Chev

Thanks Frank I sent you an email with the info.

enjenjo

Quote from: "40 Chev"Thanks Frank I sent you an email with the info.

I sent you a return email. Apparently we have never had an R5 engine here in Toledo, no books for it. The boss is checking other shops to see if someone has anything on it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "40 Chev"Does anybody know where I can get on line info on the thing: best guess is that it's a 82 Toyota R5 engine?? :wink:

Out of curiosity, I did a Google search on Toyota R5 and also on Toyota 5R.  

I don't know if they are one and the same, but there are listings for both 5R and R5 Toyota engines used in forklifts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Anonymous

Quote from: "40 Chev"I stopped by a friends welding shop today and found out he had torn the motor out of his forklift, he had the block and heads sent out to be redone and had started to reassemble the thing. The problem is he doesn't have a manual and is not that familiar with engines, I can help him out a bit but I just had surgery and am not that mobile yet. I'm almost positive he doesn't have the timing right as the marks on the crank and cam sprockets don't line up to anything. Does anybody know where I can get on line info on the thing: best guess is that it's a 82 Toyota R5 engine?? :wink:

FWIW ------- try www.motorpowerinc.com/spec's/5r.html

river1

Quote from: "Olderndirt"

try www.motorpowerinc.com/specs/5r.html

you had a  '  in the addy

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Olderndirt"

Sorry! Delete the apostrophe from "spec's" and it should get you there.

40 Chev

Thanks everyone, I think we have most of it figured out now, I did the bottom end today, the timing is the only tricky part but I think we have it figurd out, it's actually timed to two of the timing chain links. I'm off to BTTF on Wednesday so this will have to wait until next week. If I get it fired up I'll post if not if not I'll @#$@!$!.............