Some info on the low vacuum prob in the SBF

Started by C9, April 02, 2008, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

If you've been following the C4-that-won't-shift-into-3rd escapades of my pals 46 Ford with 302 SBF engine, here's where we are so far.

Trans guy installed the low vacuum modulator, no help.

(The engine would only pull 10" at idle and go to 15" when spun up a bit.)

We yanked the radiator a couple days back - an interesting job due to the less than brilliant way the brackets etc were put together.
Anyway, he got the timing cover off and found the cam one tooth retarded.

So we have our hopes up there and I'll keep you posted.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

interesting... the cam was off 1 tooth.  

that is not heard often. most folks may not fess up to this.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

C9

Quote from: "Crosley"interesting... the cam was off 1 tooth.  

Yeah, my pal (CK) didn't do it.

The 46 is one of what I call "Cosmetic Hot Rods.
Kinda like a Cosmetic restoration where you paint and upholster the car then sell it as a complete resto for big $$.

He was getting tired of having the same weather inside his 29 roadster that was also on the outside.

Guy offered a straight up swap, the 29 for the lowered 46 - sloppily done - nicely painted and flamed body, tuck & roll & chrome goodies on the engine.
CK liked the car, but didn't look as close as he should have.

He's getting it whipped into shape pretty good, solid axle front end is squared away and once the cam & trans probs are ironed out and some new parallel leafs installed out back it will make for a nice little car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I'm up at his shop a couple days back and see a really nice 48 Ford Chassis sitting there.
I figured he was gonna build a chassis - a good un - and do a swap.

Turns out the chassis belongs to a 48 coupe and the owner after having it for many years is gonna get it running.

Interesting part was the Olds rear axle.

Even more interesting was that the rear wishbones were cut off and home-made ladder (?) bars were welded to what remained.

Especially interesting was that the ladder bars were made of 1" solid bar stock welded to 3/8" flat stock about 4" wide.
The bars are T shaped with the 1" bar on top.

The most interesting part was that the front pivot bolt was 3/8"....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

junkyardjeff

I had a 351-W built for my 55 and it has low vacumn too,it will shift into third but at partial throttle it slides into gear but if I give it some gas it shifts fine.     I thought it was a trans problem and would live with it for awhile but when I turned on the vacumn wipers I had to rev the motor some which is weird since they usually beat the windshield at idle so I figured it was a low vacumn problem.  The motor would run good and not act like it had low vacumn if the timing was over advanced but would ping very badly  and the moron that built it had put a 302 cam in it so the motor will have to come apart sometimes this spring,I am wondering now if thet moron has it a tooth off too.  Next motor  I am building myself.  Jeff

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "C9"
Quote from: "Crosley"interesting... the cam was off 1 tooth.  

Yeah, my pal (CK) didn't do it.

The 46 is one of what I call "Cosmetic Hot Rods.
Kinda like a Cosmetic restoration where you paint and upholster the car then sell it as a complete resto for big $$.

He was getting tired of having the same weather inside his 29 roadster that was also on the outside.

Guy offered a straight up swap, the 29 for the lowered 46 - sloppily done - nicely painted and flamed body, tuck & roll & chrome goodies on the engine.
CK liked the car, but didn't look as close as he should have.

He's getting it whipped into shape pretty good, solid axle front end is squared away and once the cam & trans probs are ironed out and some new parallel leafs installed out back it will make for a nice little car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes sir , i understand.. your friend did not build the car.

car trades are often tough.... look good or mechanically good.  Often you do not get both.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)