Favorite rear tire?

Started by 47convert, May 31, 2004, 02:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

OK, I'm looking for rear tires for my 34 3window hiboy and I want something tall that'll fit on a 10"rim but I'd like something with a finer tread design than most light truck radials seem to have. Anyone have a favorite that would fit the bill?

Charlie Chops 1940

In a 15" a BFG TA radial 285/70-15 will go on a 10" rim but I see them more commonly on 8" to 8-1/2" widths. I think they look better on the 8"/8-1/2" rims. There was a 315/70 at on time but it is a bit too large in diameter for my taste. Take a look at Tire Racks web site. There is a protion that deals with dimensions for available tire sizes for all the tires they carry. It takes a while to find that part of the site but it works apretty good.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Quote from: "47convert"OK, I'm looking for rear tires for my 34 3window hiboy and I want something tall that'll fit on a 10"rim but I'd like something with a finer tread design than most light truck radials seem to have. Anyone have a favorite that would fit the bill?

Ive got the 285/70's on my 32 on 10 inch rims and i like em. Ill admit they look real good on an 8 inch rim also.. Look at the bbq build pics and there is a pic of my 32 with the bfg's on it..
Dave

beatnik

These are 285/70-15 BFG's on a 10" wheel. They look good but, I think I would have like them better on an 8" rim.
If I have to explain it to you, You really wouldn?t understand

Roadstar

285/70/15 on a 8inch rim.

Good for mud boggin too :lol:

beatnik

Quote from: "Roadstar"Good for mud boggin too :lol:

I don't know anyone that would do that with there Hot Rod :wink: .

These are 285's on 8's
If I have to explain it to you, You really wouldn?t understand

C9

These are BFG 285/70R-15's on a 10" wide wheel.

They're just about the same size as the light truck tire (31-50 x 15) a lot of guys ran about ten years ago.  This before the 285 was available.
In fact, standing them side by side the difference is virtually nil.

One thing to keep in mind on the light truck tires is they are 7 plies on the tread and 3 plies on the sidewall.

The passenger 285's are 3 plies on the tread and 1 ply on the sidewall.

All of which means the truck tires would be inflated 14-16# for the proper inflation pressure on a light weight car.

The 285's are run at 20# for the right inflation pressure on the same car.

Ride is considerably better with the 285's.

An additional feature about the 285's is they seem to made of a softer compound and bite quite well on the street.
Better in fact than the pre-wrinkle wall slicks from the good ol daze.

Doing a half throttle converter flash on my 32 makes the car launch really hard - when on a clean and dry, recently washed by the rain road.
After that, just roll the throttle in keeping it out of wheelspin and short shift to second....  :shock:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

C9

Lemme try that again - think I screwed up on the first pic posting attempt.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

47convert

Jay, they look good on your roadster and that is exactly the tire I have on the back of my '60 ElCamino - they don't look that big on the Elky though. Maybe I'll just mock them up in place on my coupe. Thanx