Need Alternator Help

Started by MrMopar64, March 15, 2008, 03:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMopar64

Last weekend on the way to a car show at 5:30am  :(  The GM 1 wire on my Rambler took a dump....... Now I want to put a 3 wire on it so I have a light and gauge. Can someone tell me where to hook up the 2 other wires. I find a lot of stuff on the net to go from 3 to 1 but not much the other way  :?

TIA
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

wayne petty

Quote from: "MrMopar64"Last weekend on the way to a car show at 5:30am  :(  The GM 1 wire on my Rambler took a dump....... Now I want to put a 3 wire on it so I have a light and gauge. Can someone tell me where to hook up the 2 other wires. I find a lot of stuff on the net to go from 3 to 1 but not much the other way  :?

TIA
MM64  8)

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/11/29/c2/0900823d801129c2/repairInfoPages.htm

figure 5  upper right hand corner is the easist...

it still does not say which one is 1 or 2... buy the replacement pig tail... the red go to the fusable link and the white to the lamp.....

and yes the lamp gets power from the positive side of the ign...

when the voltage is equal the lamp is dark... when one side is low the lamp gets bright....

by the way... these alternators are easy to open and overhaul...  you do not need to change the bearings to do so...

and parts except the one wire regulator are available at almost every parts store....   there is a D shapped hole in the back of the aternator that you can insert a L shapped wire into to ground the tab to the case to bypass the regulator for testing... ... this tests the output diodes..... at a fast idle with a volt meter hooked to the battery the power should go over 15 volts in a few seconds...  if it does not... the diodes are bad... and available...  

diode trios  and diode bridges can be tested with a digital volt meter set to diode check...    readings should be 573 +/- 100 in one direction and open the other...

i dont know if some of the other rodders have a stock pile of one wire regulators...  i recomended carrying an extra one everywhere...as that was the only really hard part to get.....

Learpilot

This web site is the best I have found about Alternators.
www.madelectrical.com  
Look at " Electrical Tech" at the top of the page. That should tell you everything about 3 wire alternators.

MrMopar64

Thanks Guys

Wayne....
I bought a complete overhaul kit bearings and all with a 3 wire reg
The parts are from Transpo.... So when I get it put back togther I'll wire like you said  :wink:
What size fusible link should I use ?

Thanks
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

wayne petty

the red wire on 1 or 2 is only a sense wire... in most cases it can just get a 1/4"  ring terminal to the bat post on the back of the alternator..... so you only need to run a single 18 gauge wire for the indicator lamp...

if you do want to run a full legnth wire... 4 numbers small than the existing wire... a 16 or 18 gauge fuseable link will work....

WORD or warning.. i have gotten and complained to the company about a preterminated fuseable link that came from a major supplier of small parts...  the wire in this assembly was teflon jacketed... and quite rigid... and did not blow out when i tested it at the end of a set of jumper cables directly to a battery.... it got hot and burned...
fuseable link wire has a soft silicone jacket.. and is really bendy..easy to bend... not very stiff... feels totally differnt than normal wire... beware just in case...

were you able to ohm the old parts out of the alternator to see what died?????

oh... and transpo still has the one wire regulators...if you have a source...
i reread and see you bought a kit... not individual parts...

my dealer here in la got put out of biz by the company that bought up transpo...and the main co requires written statments from 3 rebuilders in your local area that you are a rebuilder and are not interfearing in their areas...or thats what i read on the application....i am small frys.... a few units a year... too small to deal with..

MrMopar64

No Haven't checked the old parts yet....... I will today sometime had no info on how to till I got your post this morning.... thats why I ordered the whole kit.
The thing only has about 3000mi on it
The guy I got the kit from was a rebuilder in Corona but has now moved to Az.
Not sure if I got a good price but I paid 21 bucks w/shipping for everything.

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

MrMopar64

Quote from: "wayne petty"
if you do want to run a full legnth wire... 4 numbers small than the existing wire... a 16 or 18 gauge fuseable link will work....

WORD or warning.. i have gotten and complained to the company about a preterminated fuseable link that came from a major supplier of small parts...  the wire in this assembly was teflon jacketed... and quite rigid... and did not blow out when i tested it at the end of a set of jumper cables directly to a battery.... it got hot and burned...
fuseable link wire has a soft silicone jacket.. and is really bendy..easy to bend... not very stiff... feels totally differnt than normal wire... beware just in case...

I have some spools of fusible link wire how long of a piece do you need to use?

thanks
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

1FATGMC

Quote from: "MrMopar64"Last weekend on the way to a car show at 5:30am  :(  The GM 1 wire on my Rambler took a dump....... Now I want to put a 3 wire on it so I have a light and gauge. Can someone tell me where to hook up the 2 other wires. I find a lot of stuff on the net to go from 3 to 1 but not much the other way  :?

TIA
MM64  8)

I guess I have to wonder why you are going through this?? You can run a voltmeter on the 1-wire and I wouldn't want an amp gauge in my car if that is what you are thinking.

Wayne also gave me info on 1 wire parts that are on my site here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/onewire.html

......... I just carry the parts in case I have to buy a 3 wire on the road to convert it to 1 wire.  They don't take up much space and Summit now sells them as a kit (a little more that way).

c ya,

Sum

model a vette

Ed

MrMopar64

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

TIA
MM64  8)

I guess I have to wonder why you are going through this?? You can run a voltmeter on the 1-wire and I wouldn't want an amp gauge in my car if that is what you are thinking.

Wayne also gave me info on 1 wire parts that are on my site here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/onewire.html

......... I just carry the parts in case I have to buy a 3 wire on the road to convert it to 1 wire.  They don't take up much space and Summit now sells them as a kit (a little more that way).

c ya,

Sum
Yeah I'm running a voltmeter now..... the only reason I want to go 3 wire is to run a light also..... chit chat'n with the wife and follow'n the GPS I didn't catch it as soon as I would have liked to  :wink:  I was able to turn everything off... lights, stereo, heater, etc and get to the show swap in a fresh battery (a buddy had) and get home without a tow truck  :lol:  :lol:  
Extra wires are already run (did that way back in the begining) Now I just need to hook them up  :? and I guess really I'll only be running 2 wires cuz one will just go to the batt term on the alt  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

wayne petty

nice picture of how to wire it...

and most one wire voltage regulators will work just fine with a light in the dash...

some of the better rebuilders are installing them in most rebuilds to limit the comebacks with bad wiring in the car...  

look for SE numbers somewhere on the regulator...

and since i gave summer the numbers they have changed the numbering system

maybe someone will post the direct link to summits kit...

1FATGMC

Quote from: "wayne petty"nice picture of how to wire it...

and most one wire voltage regulators will work just fine with a light in the dash...

some of the better rebuilders are installing them in most rebuilds to limit the comebacks with bad wiring in the car...  

look for SE numbers somewhere on the regulator...

and since i gave summer the numbers they have changed the numbering system

maybe someone will post the direct link to summits kit...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D1667&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Wayne does that meant I should take that information down??

c ya,

Sum

wayne petty

no... i will have a look at it and give you some updated part numbers...

that pages has been found by google and others so changing much on it might confuse the people... maybe just add the summit link for now...

i had hoped that you would be able to sell them out of the store when i first sent it to you almost a decade ago...

edit
open mouth insert foot... i did not realize that you had been keeping up on part number changes....  

thank you sum.....
still looks good....

wayne... fixer of the unfixable... except my faltering brain....