Car/Light Truck Rim Specs

Started by freddrew, March 12, 2008, 07:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddrew

I am looking for a web site that gives the specifications for rims.  I need the diameter, bolt pattern and offset for General Motors rims.  I want to replace the 81 Camero Z28 rims with a standard rim that is 6" to 7" wide and has a lot more backspacing than 4.25".  The front clip is going into a Street Rod and will have a tire to fender issue.

Fred
Fred

Charlie Chops 1940

You could try an S-10 4WD rim or a 79-85 Riviera, Toronado or Eldorado standard steel rims. They have the most backspace  of 15" 5 on 4-3/4 rims that I know of. Pretty hard to get much more backspace on 6 & 7" rims based on the spider design.

The better plan is to use a narrower subframe. Front steer F-bodies are pretty wide as are the '75 up Novas and the clones. A back steer 68-74 Nova and the clones are a bit narrower. An S-10 is narrower yet but the steering box sets out in front the furthest and radiator fitment can be a problem. Narrowed a-arms will work to help also but that is a costly solution to picking the wrong subframe.

Just my observations from years of subframes....your mileage may vary.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

What Charlie said. You could also use C3 Vette wheels.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Oh yeah, it would be useful for us to know what kind of car for which we are giving advise.

I don't know of any spec pages that cover width and offset. Maybe there is but I think it's a check the parts deal.

You can do what you want, but correcting a wide sub with different wheels or narrowed a-arms is  usually futile unless the correction is minimal.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

freddrew

I forgot to mention that the clip is going in a 1947 Chev AeroSedan.  I already have the clip so I'd like to run with it.
Fred
Fred

enjenjo

I've used Vette wheels on a 41 sedan with that clip. worked fine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

The only problem with that clip and the flat face wheels is that "normal" wheels won't work. I guess I'm just partial to more traditional wheels.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

phat46

Fred.....didn't we talk about this issue a year or so ago!!????   :lol:

GPster

My neighbor bought a BMW that had those Metric wheel/tires on it and the suggestion at the time was S10 4X4 wheels for the negative off-set to match BMW's off-set. sounded like a good idea at the time but a set of BMW late model wheels/tires appeared. He had to buy billet spacers because the late BMWs had more off-set than the earlier (mid '70s) BMWs did. If I remember correctly the lugs were 5 on 135 CM which was close to 5 on 4 3/4" enough to use?. You might try that way and you might go to 17" rims to give more clearence. GPster