11" Mustang II brakes

Started by Learpilot, February 06, 2008, 11:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

How much better are the 11" disk brakes on a Mustang II front end than the stock 9" ?
My 36 Dodge weighs 3100 #.  I have a 1" bore master cylinder / 9" dual booster.
Is it worth the expense to upgrade ?
Where did you buy your kit ?
How much did you pay for it ?
Thanks in advance for your answers to my questions !!!
Rick Harris

Bugpac

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Charlie Chops 1940

I ran the stock MII disc set up on my '40 Chevy convert (3700 #'s) for 12 years or so and switched to an ECI 11" kit about 4 years ago. It wasn't a dramatic change but definitely an improvement. Been on two trips through the Rockies and up and down Pikes Peak - never a bit of fade - can't say that for the stock set-up.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Uncle Bob

One more thing to consider is front track width/fender clearance.  Don't know if it's an issue with your car and tire/wheel setup, but the typical OE type rotor usually widens the front track by 1/2" per side.  ECI with the aluminum hub (perhaps other companies too) "gives that back" so there's no additional offset.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Charlie Chops 1940

Good point Uncle Bob...in fact I think it narrows the width about 1/4" per side, but in my case the tires still rubbed the fenders slightly in lock to lock.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Uncle Bob

Charlie, I have to confess I didn't measure to verify, but ECI claims no offset increase for the 4 1/2 & 4 3/4 b.c. version.  For the larger 5 and 5 1/2 b.c. they show 5/16 increase.  http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/mustang_pinto_discbrake_conversions.html
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Learpilot

I just put new wheels on my Dodge. I had 15X7 with a 3.5" backspace. The new wheels are 15X7 with a 4.5" backspace with Chevy and Ford bolt pattern (WELD RODLITES). I was looking at using a conversion kit that uses Ford bolt pattern and they claim that is 1/2" wider (1/4" per side). I should have tire clearance.
Thanks for your input.
Rick Harris

Okiedokie

I agree with the "slight improvement".

Learpilot

I got the Speedway #91031944 11" brake kit with Ford bolt pattern. I also got the SS steel brake line.    
The only problem I had was to file some clearance on the brackets to clear a rib on the calipers. I would liked for the brackets to be labeled left and right.
There is an improvement in stopping !
I want to thank you all for the suggestions it helped a lot !!!!

40_Tudor

I just bought an 11 rotor kit from a friend. Haven't had a chance to put them on yet. Vented steal rotors and Welwood calipers. Hope they don't stick out any further though. Tires rub a little on a hard turn up an incline like a driveway. The MII brakes stop Ok but the left caliper hanges a little. Rebuilt junk NAPA parts.