Ranger Power Steering Pump Q

Started by C9, March 09, 2008, 03:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Got an 89 Ranger 4x4, 2.9 Liter V6 engine with power steering.
The power steering makes a buzzing noise when turning now and then.
Oil was full first time I noticed it.

After parking the car for a few minutes a month or so back,  no more buzz.
Pump oil was at the proper level at the time.

Couple days ago, the buzz came back, comes and goes.
The oil level was down this time around.

The steering is still smooth when the PS pump is buzzing and not "catchy" like they get sometimes when they have a problem.

The pump pulley shaft will move in and out about 1/8", but no axial slop or bearing noise.

Other Ranger power steering pumps I checked in the junkyard don't have any play at all as far as in and out on the pump shaft.

I thought for a while that maybe a snap ring had broken, seals seem ok, no leaks just a touch of seepage.

I got the bright idea to rebuild the pump myself.
Seal kits run $11. or $19. depending on which kit you get as far as completeness goes.
The bigger kit probably has seals for the reservoir.

Bearings if needed could be purchased at the local bearing house.

Along with snap rings if one of those was broken.

I see rebuilt pumps available with and without the plastic reservoir.

The problem I've run into is "How does the reservoir come off?"

I don't see any bolts or hold down devices on the outside.

I'm guessing a strong putty knife may go under the edge and the reservoir simply pops off.

I need a little advice before I try that one.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

zzebby

Yes have heard talk about these poor quality pumps.  If you can find an older one that fits then you'll be better off.   Even the dealer techs say they are junk.  I've even heard of a kit to put on a GM pump.
Sorry haven't had one apart to give details even though I have an extra one under the bench.  You're welcome to it for shipping $.

C9

Quote from: "zzebby"Yes have heard talk about these poor quality pumps.  If you can find an older one that fits then you'll be better off.   Even the dealer techs say they are junk.  I've even heard of a kit to put on a GM pump.
Sorry haven't had one apart to give details even though I have an extra one under the bench.  You're welcome to it for shipping $.

Thats a deal.

Lemme know where to send the money.

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anything you need?
C9

GPster

I've got an '89 Ranger with 130,000 miles on it that I bought used. I have little doubt that it didn't get much maintainence before I got it. My hearing is  so that I can't tell what might be making noise but it's still working and I would think it's the original. One thing you might remember is the drive belt if you go checking junk yards candidates. Mine has a flat belt and I don't think earlier Rangers were so equiped. GPster

C9

I bought the Ranger new in December 88.
136,000 easy miles on it.

Son-in-law owned it from May 2002 to November 2007.
He bought a new pickup and gave me the Ranger back.
Good deal since I can go on Jeep safaris with friends when we're doing the multiple vehicle bit.

No to mention it gets 20 mpg in town and the 2002 SuperCrew F150 gets 13 mpg.

Used to get 14-15 mpg in town, but now with methanol in the gas, mileage for everyone is down about 10% or so.

The pump has a V-belt, but a flat belt is not a problem.
Got this cool little Snap-On puller that works a treat....
C9

wayne petty

Quote from: "C9"Got an 89 Ranger 4x4, 2.9 Liter V6 engine with power steering.
The power steering makes a buzzing noise

here is a link..
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0f/99/e9/0900823d800f99e9/repairInfoPages.htm

direct to az ps pump repair pages...

#1 change the fluid ... flush the fluid..
i usually carefully unhook the return hose if it is easy to get to and plug the opening at the bottom of the pump...

then with an assistant and a large end funnel and several quarts of ps fluid the return hose goes in a bottle that holds several gallons...  start the motor... as soon as the assistant starts it ... preinstruct him to turn the wheel from stop to stop....while you keep the tank filled..

my mom does it a differnt way... she uses a turkey baster from the 99 cent store... removes what she can... refills it.. works the wheel stop to stop... shuts off and uses the baster again... she does this 3 or 4 times and it is done...

professionals... have a new tool with 2 hoses... one suction.. one refill...  put the dual tip in the opening start the motor... turn the wheel lock to lock all while the pump replaces the fluid...   this uses sometimes 2 or 3 gallons of fluid... and costs almost 100 bucks... but any of the 3 ways is cheeper than a new pump and rack...

as for the rear housing... i though that all fords were just a slip fit and retained by the output nut/fitting...

a1 cardone make a modded gm pump to fit many ford appls...look in the back of an a1 cardone catalog... or see cardone.com...

as far as i can remember.. it has been a year or so since i pulled one... when you remove the adaptor on the side the tank will just wiggle off....

zzebby

C9

Quote from: "zzebby"PM sent.

PM sent.

Thank you very much.

Jay
C9