1938 Willys coupe

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 01, 2008, 07:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Did a torque converter swap in my friends 38 Willys today.  The car is all steel , so the * & moaning here  should be minimum .

The car has a 41/42 front sheet metal on the car.... same owners since 1981. I first worked on the car in 1982 or 83.

It is a street car , not a racer.  Original front axle under the car too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Cool car. For someone to own it that long means they must really like it.
TEAM SMART

Uncle Bob

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Charlie Chops 1940

Good looking period Willys. There was one of those(40/41) here in the early 70's. I saw it once in the parking lot at a slalom event where I was racing my Corvette. It was faded light blue, bone stock, and being driven by a young guy who had just inherited it from his Grandmother in a little town 60 miles north. It was in excellent condition.

As far as I know no one ever saw it again or knew who the guy was. My most favored fantasy is that I will see it in an open garage one day and buy it for almost nothing. Second favorite fantasy is that I still get it for a snall fortune.

Could happen....

I fully understand the deal about keeping and liking the same car for a long time. The '40 convert has been under my care for 29 years as of this month.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

Willys front end......

I live at the end of a deep cul de sac....Some folks in a 2008 Super Duty Ford were turning around as we loaded the Willys onto the trailer for the 60 mile trip back home...the fellow in the truck first question was : " Is it glass or steel?"  

My friend responded with "All original steel, I've owned it since 1981"    Second question was :" For sale"  My friend said : " 85 will buy it"...

He does not want to sell the car.

:lol:

1940 Willys front grill is a split grill setup... 41 - 42 are the one piece unit usually installed.... often that is confusing

My friend installed the 41 - 42 front sheet metal so he could run a large radiator. The OE 1938 sheet metal did not allow for a large radiator. He ran the 38 front end for about 20 yrs...

8)

those are Halibrand wheels , aluminum... he took the magnesium wheels off. Too hard to keep shiney.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)