Will these stupid idiots ever learn?

Started by Rayvyn, February 16, 2008, 12:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

"why do most highways in the US not have a central barrier ?"  The state of Iowa says it is because traffic conditions have changed since the Interstate system was designed and built.  Years ago the traffic density was low enough that a car crossing through the median had little likelihood of hitting an oncoming car.  Today there are a lot more cars on the road and a car crossing through the median is MUCH more likely to hit someone coming the other way.  As a result the state is starting to install median barriers, beginning with the areas of highest traffic density.  Part of that decision was the experience in Missouri, where a stretch of road that saw 35 fatal crashes one year dropped to 3 after installation of a cable guardrail in the center median.  None of those 3 wrecks involved crossing into oncoming traffic.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "jaybee"Part of that decision was the experience in Missouri, where a stretch of road that saw 35 fatal crashes one year dropped to 3 after installation of a cable guardrail in the center median.  None of those 3 wrecks involved crossing into oncoming traffic.

The western part of I-78 in New Jersey has been a real problem, with many cross-over  crashes.

Originally, there was just a wide planted median, with berms in some places and gullies in other ares. .....Trees and shrubs growing on the median did not prevent many accidents.

In some areas, steel-rail (Armco?) guardrails were erected, but these were constantly being destroyed.  ......So, the State installed the cable-type system.

Problem with that idea, was that the cables were being knocked down faster than they could be repaired.  .....Once one section of cable was broken, several sections were ineffective.

So, the State has now started reinstalling the steel guardrail barriers again, but this time they are doubling-up on the guardrail.  .....One rail mounted outside the post as usual, and another rail mounted inside the post.

We even have those 30"-36" high concrete "Jersey" barriers in some areas where there is no median strip.  ......I've seen several holes punched right through them, as well.

It's amazing how much momentum a vehicle travelling at 70-85mph has! ......Helluva a hard stop on impact, too!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Crosley.In.AZ

we have the cable barriers on many new sections of freeways in metro Phoenix.... folks here were PO'd about the cables and IF they would work. I believe it was a 3 cable setup.

Welll..... a fellow & girl friend having another argument as he drove down the freeway, he rammed his car into the cable barrier on the 101 section of freeway.....

His car went through the cables, witnesses said  he maintained control and then rammed head on into a semi truck killing himself and his girl friend

After that with the public up roar, more cables were added to the current setup.  Folks here still scream for better barriers.

ADOT says that the cable barriers are hit 90 times a month in metro phoenix.

I can tell you a story about the citrus trees that were in the median of the I-17 in Phoenix years ago..... it is a regular story though with  a car crash........... car hit trees, trees too big,car bounces off trees, re-enters freeway, more crashes,  lawsuits, trees removed

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)