I Need a new jig saw. Any recommendations? Cordless maybe?

Started by 48builder, January 31, 2008, 07:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I was hurrying (I usually get introuble when I do that) a few weeks ago and pulled my relatively new Hitachi jig saw off my bench when I caught my foot in the cord. I broke the foot. I had a friend weld it and I re-tapped the attachment screw hole but it won't stay tight now. So, I'm looking for a new one. Lowes has a Dewalt 5 amp unit for $100. I saw an 18V cordless model at Northern Tool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329665_200329665

for $60 without battery. That would an extra $40. I like the Bosch units, and Lowes has a corded model for about $130. I'm starting on my interior panels and seat mounts, a lot of which I cut out of plywood and plastic sheets. A jig saw makes the curves much easier to cut. DeWalt has a 18V cordless, but I really can't justify $360 for it.

Any experience with any of the above?

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

phat46

Can't help ya with the jig saw, but didn't it hurt to get your foot welded and tapped?!?!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Dave

Quote from: "48builder"I was hurrying (I usually get introuble when I do that) a few weeks ago and pulled my relatively new Hitachi jig saw off my bench when I caught my foot in the cord. I broke the foot. I had a friend weld it and I re-tapped the attachment screw hole but it won't stay tight now. So, I'm looking for a new one. Lowes has a Dewalt 5 amp unit for $100. I saw an 18V cordless model at Northern Tool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329665_200329665

for $60 without battery. That would an extra $40. I like the Bosch units, and Lowes has a corded model for about $130. I'm starting on my interior panels and seat mounts, a lot of which I cut out of plywood and plastic sheets. A jig saw makes the curves much easier to cut. DeWalt has a 18V cordless, but I really can't justify $360 for it.

Any experience with any of the above?

Thanks

Walt

Ive got 2 craftsman jig saws and for what I do they are fine.. I do have a fance dewalt at work and its really nice but everyone borrows it (company bought) so now its going to be junk soon.
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

ragdol

I've had a Bosch for years, & would highly recommend it. The only thing is it usees a different type of blade than most others, so you have to buy all new blades. "course if you are like me, I go through blades pretty fast , so I don't have a lot of extra blades on hand. The only blades I wasn't ab;e to find was the one that cuts on the down stroke. I liked that for cutting cutouts from the front side so I don't have to think backwards. Larry.

WZ JUNK

I have used a Grizzly brand for several years.  It uses the Bosch syle blades.  I have cut a lot of aluminum with it as well as wood.  I use a wood cutting blade to cut the aluminum as the teeth do not load.  It is variable speed and it has an adjustment to make the blade move up an down in different patterns depending on what you are cutting.  I think the are about $50.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I have used a Grizzly brand for several years.  It uses the Bosch syle blades.  I have cut a lot of aluminum with it as well as wood.  I use a wood cutting blade to cut the aluminum as the teeth do not load.  It is variable speed and it has an adjustment to make the blade move up an down in different patterns depending on what you are cutting.  I think the are about $50.

John

I finially found the item and the part number.  It is a little more than I remembered but you get a knife set with it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/VS-Jigsaw-President-s-Special-/G8994Z
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

zzford

I have one of the $100 Dewalt saws and I like it alot. If you already have a Dewalt battery, check Ebay as there is a lot of new Dewalt saws that are for sale minus the battery. I have had very good luck buying Dewalt stuff at Ebay. Fr'instance, I bought two new 18v Dewalt batteries for $89, delivered. That's half price compared to Home Depot.

classicautoresto

I have the dewalt, my father has a hitachi and a chicago electric.Of the 3
the dewalt is the smoothest action and fastest cutting. I love it.......Jerry

phat46

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I see where HF has a dewalt on sale  for $60.

ITEM 51869-2VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=51869

This the one any of you have??

This one is $80. ITEM 97705-0VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97705

Sum

I just used that bottom one (the $80 one) at my brothers this weekend, we're building a wheelchair ramp/deck for his neighbor. That saw is very nice, it is variable speed and has the blade "flipper" (for lack of the corrct term) I would reccomend that saw to anyone.

48builder

[quote="phat46 I just used that bottom one (the $80 one) at my brothers this weekend, we're building a wheelchair ramp/deck for his neighbor. That saw is very nice, it is variable speed and has the blade "flipper" (for lack of the corrct term) I would reccomend that saw to anyone.[/quote]

I'll have to try getting that one. Just got told I will be working in Boston three days each weeh, so erands and car work just got tougher.

Thanks fro all the info.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

purplepickup

I hang out at a woodworking forum a little and there have been a couple of threads asking what jig saw to buy.  If you care to read the threads they're here and here.   They like Bosch a lot but they talk about other brands too.
George