I guess you get what you pay for

Started by purplepickup, June 05, 2004, 10:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I hit a leaf spring laying in the road last summer and it broke the fiberglass front splash apron on my truck.  It's the third time it had been whacked and it's lost a lot of it's original shape after being pieced back together so many times.  

I figured I'd get a new one and opted for a cheap one.  I got one from Rod 'n Race. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!!  It looks like their molds are both chipped (there's chunks of glas where there shouldn't be any) and have been poorly patched (there's lots of areas on the part just plain missing).  I've had to add as much as 1/2" of glass to make one side match the other and some of the detail lines are well defined on the left side and don't even exist on the right side.  I'm adding material and whittling with die grinders and dremels to create the areas that are missing.  While I was grinding on it I found big voids under the gelcoat.   I understand you have to tweak glass parts to make them fit.... but totally rebuilding the part??? I don't think so...!

I should have spent the extra money for one from Superior Glass.   I've got one of those fitted for my sedan and it was near perfect.

I don't know if this kind of quality is typical of Ron n Race's parts.  I'm just telling my experience.  I didn't contact them ...I just didn't want to go thru the hassle plus I've done a lot of grinding on it.  It took 4 phone calls just order the part.  I kept getting their phone mail and I like to talk to a real person.  

Another lesson learned.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

I know what you mean PPtruck guy.

but should they be selling a POS part?   Or fix the mold so it is a better part?

AND ..... I hate it when you mention to the vendor that the part does not fit right , it's short, it's twisted  ( or something like that ) , the vendor responds :" No one has ever complained before"........Bull to that
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "purplepickup"I hit a leaf spring laying in the road last summer and it broke the fiberglass front splash apron on my truck.  It's the third time it had been whacked and it's lost a lot of it's original shape after being pieced back together so many times.  

I figured I'd get a new one and opted for a cheap one.  I got one from Rod 'n Race. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!!  It looks like their molds are both chipped (there's chunks of glas where there shouldn't be any) and have been poorly patched (there's lots of areas on the part just plain missing).  I've had to add as much as 1/2" of glass to make one side match the other and some of the detail lines are well defined on the left side and don't even exist on the right side.  I'm adding material and whittling with die grinders and dremels to create the areas that are missing.  While I was grinding on it I found big voids under the gelcoat.   I understand you have to tweak glass parts to make them fit.... but totally rebuilding the part??? I don't think so...!

I should have spent the extra money for one from Superior Glass.   I've got one of those fitted for my sedan and it was near perfect.

I don't know if this kind of quality is typical of Ron n Race's parts.  I'm just telling my experience.  I didn't contact them ...I just didn't want to go thru the hassle plus I've done a lot of grinding on it.  It took 4 phone calls just order the part.  I kept getting their phone mail and I like to talk to a real person.  

Another lesson learned.

speaking of totally rebuilding parts, ya might wanna check yer e-mail in a little bit.

i might owe YOU a beer or two;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Anonymous

Quote from: "purplepickup"I hit a leaf spring laying in the road last summer and it broke the fiberglass front splash apron on my truck.  It's the third time it had been whacked and it's lost a lot of it's original shape after being pieced back together so many times.  

Another lesson learned.

purplepickup

Quote from: "tomslik"speaking of totally rebuilding parts, ya might wanna check yer e-mail in a little bit.

i might owe YOU a beer or two;)

Well I didn't expect much for $400 and it looks like I got about what I expected.  Ya, those chevys come apart if the wood is gone....ain't nothin' for the nails to go into.    But it still looks like it's good enough for what I want.  There ain't many 31 Chevy trucks around.  Thanks for helping me out and for sending me the pictures.  I owe you the beers but I'll save some for me.....I'll prolly feel like getting drunk when I see it in person.  Did you get the visor?

Hmm, looks like a real bullet hole.....
George

tomslik

[
i
yep and theres 2 cool little blue lights mounted on the top, too!   clearence lights?

seriously, the cabs' in pretty nice shape for the age(unlike me)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list