37 Chevy p.u Ford 8 inch original E brake handle now what

Started by junkyardjeff, December 31, 2007, 05:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

As the title says I am putting a Ford 8 inch in my 37 Chevy p/u and using the original E brake handle and I need some ideas on how to hook it up,I have found a new rear E brake cable for a 64 falcon in my stash of parts and would like  to use it.  The falcon cable is made in one piece unlike the granada cables that are individual,are there any universal E brake cables and parts available to make this easy.  Jeff

phat rat

As long as the ends fit the rear end and it's long enough it doesn't matter whether it's one or two piece. Actually I think it's easier to hook up the one piece. Plus with a one pice you only have one adjustment to make rather than two
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

Is the brake handle mounted on the side of the cowl or centered on the floor? If it is centered make up a short cable or a pull bar of some sort to a yoke in the center of the 1 piece cable. Make your piece adjustable for tension.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

You can cut the cable, and install your own ends to make them any length you need. NAPA has the ends in the parts and accessories catalog. Or you can make your own out of bar stock with a hole drilled in it, then crimp it to the cable.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

Its a floor mounted E brake and I made a bracket to mount it to the T-5 I am installing,I got under the truck and held the cable up to see where it would go and it looks like I will have to make a adjustable rod coming from the handle with a guide for the cable and possibly another guide for the other side of the trans to keep everthing even.  I will need to get the trans in before I do anything but before the trans can go in I have to put a new rear main seal in the motor which will happen this week,I am just tring to get some ideas to think about. Jeff