brake swap?

Started by tomslik, December 23, 2007, 01:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

here's what i want to do; i want to run 9 1/2" aluminum gm drums on a 9" rear end.
is it possible to use the gm backing plates?
how about the axles? would they work as far as the amount the axles stick out of the housing?
i'll be going aftermarket on the axles (with the 4.75 bolt circle) anyaway...
anybody done dis deal?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

I've never done it, thought about it though. If you have the right bolt pattern, and hub pilot machined on the axle, then it should fit fine there.

The problem is the backing plate. It doen not come close to the Ford housing bolt pattern. If it's a small bearing housing, you may be able to redrill it to fit.

I have done it with 11" drums, and the GM drum has about .375 more backspacing than Ford drums, so the backing plate has to be moved back that much.

I would suggest making a plate that fits the Ford housing, cutting out the center of the GM backing plate, and mating them up. you could use a piece of tubing as a spacer if necessary. Shouldn't be too hard to do.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

well, this is funny, i didn't even ask over on the HAMB but.....   http://www.dcaracing.com/cat_9inrearend_2.html

80 bucks and i'm set!
er, WAS until i decided to use this set of xploder discs i've had laying around.... :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

That would certainly do it, and the price is right too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Is there any bearings with the ID of the Ford axels and the OD of the Chevy that has the brakes yo want to use. If you are having axels made can you take a ford housing and size it with Chevy axel bearing housing ends? GPster