Rear end housing holding fixture

Started by junkyardjeff, December 16, 2007, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have it sitting on top of two blocks and it wants to go everywhere if I dont sit on it or wrap a leg around it so what does everyone do to hold a rear end while prepping for paint.  Jeff

donsrods

I hang em from an engine lift and block them up a lttle while grinding to keep them from twisting around.

Don

junkyardjeff

I was going to use jack stands but I have my tallest under the 37 at this time.  Jeff

crdnblu

I constructed a large "U" shaped fixture (as viewed from the front) out of scrap 2 x 8 lumber, the width of the rearend, w/ the end pieces having a shallow "V" groove to support the rotors.  The end-piece uprights were supported by 2 x 4 pieces, aprox 3' long.  [The end pieces looked like inverted "T's".]
The rearend housing could be rotated as needed, around the disk brake rotors.  It worked very well for me.  (I imagine that a drum brake configuration would work as well w/ a little more lifting effort.)
Not sure if the pic will post here.......

[/img]

enjenjo

I have a pair of stands made from a 3 ft pipe, welded into the center of an old wheel, with a half round of 4" pipe welded on the top.  You can set the rear end on the stands, and clamp it to the half round. It won't move. Cut grind, weld ect. Want a picture?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I would like to see some pics,if I do any more rear end swaps I wil have to make a set.  Jeff

enjenjo

Here you go. This is one of them, you need two. I also have some stands, the same height, but made from heavier tubing, and braced up, for setting a car frame on.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.