41-47 Chevy Coupe

Started by coupesarecool, December 09, 2007, 07:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coupesarecool

Can anyone tell me if a 41 and 47 body tub are the same? (ie. firewall back) Would like to use a 41 front if possible. Already chopped a 47 tub. Thanks

tomslik

Quote from: "coupesarecool"Can anyone tell me if a 41 and 47 body tub are the same? (ie. firewall back) Would like to use a 41 front if possible. Already chopped a 47 tub. Thanks

nope, the cowl area is different on a 41 (42-48 are the same)
swap the cowl out if you wanna use the front sheet metal...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

It doesn't bolt up. But you can make it fit by using repair panels from EMS. The base structure of the cowl is the same, but the outer sheet metal is different.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

coupesarecool

Thanks, what is different about the cowl?

coupesarecool

Quote from: "enjenjo"It doesn't bolt up. But you can make it fit by using repair panels from EMS. The base structure of the cowl is the same, but the outer sheet metal is different.
Thanks you, what panels from EMS would I need?

enjenjo

On a 42 to 48, the hood line curves back to the door at the top of the cowl, and there is no facing on the cowl all the way down, the front fender also extends to the door. On a 41, the hood line goes straight down about 3" in front of the door, and this becomes the rear line of the front fender too, so there is a filler panel about 3" wide betweem the hood/fender, and the door.

EMS sells a lower cowl patch for a 41 that will take care of the lower part, you would have to fabricate the top part, but there are no compound curves.

The door skin is different too, but you can modify it to remove the reinforcement for the fender extension.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.