Bigger brakes for a Ford 8 inch

Started by junkyardjeff, December 06, 2007, 09:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have a 8 inch from a maverick in my 55 sunliner and I am putting one from a granada in my 37 chevy p/u,I would like to put bigger brakes on both and would anyone know if 68 to 71 torino brakes would be bigger and would fit using the original axles in both rear ends.  I doubt there are too much bigger brakes since  those were used in smaller cars but the maverick/granada brakes look small.  Jeff

Charlie Chops 1940

It will depend on the size of the housing end and what the Torino rear end is. If the Torino is an 8" then it's probably the same. Disregarding the late model rear cover Ford axles there are at least 5 different housing ends (and in turn, different backing plates).

8 inch (small bearing)
9 inch (big bearing) Torino
9 inch (big bearing) 1/2" holes
9 inch (big bearing) 3/8" holes
9 inch (mall bearing)

I think you can get a diagram of them at Speedway and Winters - mayb others.

Someone sells new 11" loaded backing plates for certain of those axles.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

You probably have the 8" small bearing ends. There are some mid 60s 9" rears with the same bolt pattern, light duty 63 and 64 Fords for example, and 11 by 2 brakes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I wish I kept the rear brakes off a 65 galaxie 4 door I parted,I think the small V8 and six powered 68 to 71 torino/fairlanes had 8 inch rears and there are a few in a local yard so I need to go soon and look.  Jeff

junkyardjeff

I just looked on the autozone website and the maverick has a 10 X 1 3/4 shoes and so does a 70 torino but the torino also had 10 X 2 and 10 X 2 1/2 but I dont know if that would be worth the effort so I will look at a galaxie if I decide to go to a larger brake.  It would be worth the effort on the 55 but the 37 is lighter then original due to the fiberglass fenders and running boards and I think the reproduction bed is lighter then the original too so it wont be worth it to change the brakes.   Jeff

C9

I think FatCat originally posted this.

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Deuce

Every 8 inch Ford rear end I ever saw used the small Ford bearing. So did a lot of the 9 inch Fords. I would find a older full size Ford from the early to mid 60's ... and then get the backing plates and related brake parts from it.

I do this on the 57 to 59 Ford rear ends I use. Early brake drums are hard to find ... and the later stuff is wider ...  :)
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Uncle Bob

And just to add emphasis to what Jay showed in the diagram, the axle flange offset is important as well as the axle end bolt pattern/hole size.  It varies on Fords as well.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Pete

Wilwood makes a kit.
I have them on an 8 inch.