Testing torque wrenches...

Started by Chebby, December 07, 2007, 12:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chebby

Hi all,

Is there a way that I can accurately test torque wrenches at home. I seem to recall seeing a home-made tester that did just that but didn't bookmark it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chebby

enjenjo

Here's one  http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_3.htm  If you have an accurate scale, you could push down on the scale, rather than pull up on the weight.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

using a 15 mm 12 point socket..( usually in everybodys tool box) you can connect a beam type to a clicker to check to see how close it is..

if there is an NHRA national eventclose by next year. i talked to the ARP bolt people about this problem with variations in torque wrench calibrations... they were going to install a torque wrench tester in their show trailer...with a label printer to print the proper dial settings to use for that racers engine most used bolt torque settings.. if their unit tests out of spec a bit...

when i worked in the engine rebuilding shop the boss would not let me buy replacment torque wrenches for everybody... many were a few years old... so i bought a torque wrench checker for the wall...from mc master carr..   the builders removed it and threw it at me... said that thing is wrong.. as each one of their torque wrenches reads differnt..and my tool must be broken... i left that job soon after...

Leon

Quote from: "wayne petty"the builders removed it and threw it at me...
Hope you got to take it home :D

wayne petty

no it and everything else burned up in a fire a few weeks later...the foot pedal had broken on the final wash solvent tank and some wise guy bypassed it...

they all went to lunch and left the solvent level low and the pump running... oh... and they used naptha as a solvent for the final rince.. it was 90 % used for crankshafts...

one guy after 20 + years of working there still put sbc rear main seals in backward if you handed him a dual lip rear main...and he would try to install 2.3 ford timing belts without locking the tentioner back..... it was great to watch.. the poor little motor sliding around the bench as this guy trys to pry it back and get the belt on at the same time..  i did show him the right way....   use two prybars...