rust demon rears it's ugly head

Started by jaybee, May 23, 2004, 01:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Can anything be done when rust is starting to seep out of the seam where a door skin is crimped over the inside structure, but there there aren't any bubbles in the paint or other signs of rust through?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

You can work some rust bullet into the seam from inside the door. It will creep like you wouldn't believe. A couple coats should do it. That will seal the seam to keep the water out of it. Make sure the drain holes are kept open.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"You can work some rust bullet into the seam from inside the door. It will creep like you wouldn't believe. A couple coats should do it. That will seal the seam to keep the water out of it. Make sure the drain holes are kept open.

Thanks.  I wondered if something like that might help.  Pretty tough situation as it's basically inacessible.  Besides keeping the drain holes open, would it also help to spread some seam sealer on the joint inside the door after the rust bullet does its stuff?

I know that blocked drain holes are a major cause of this problem, but it seems to be just about the first place that rust hits most cars.  The weather strips are in good repair, seems like that should go a long way to reduce both water and garbage in the bottom of the doors.

enjenjo

Rust Bullet will act as a seam sealer itself, I think that will be enough.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"Rust Bullet will act as a seam sealer itself, I think that will be enough.

Thanks!  :)