Welding on a minivan axle

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 25, 2007, 07:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm not sure, but I would think that it would be a forging, but given the OEM penchant for cheap it could be a casting. Can you see a forging line that separates it into "halves"?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

tomslik

you can weld malable cast BUT would it be practical to narrow the axle?

looks caravan so if you bugger it up, i've got another one....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

1FATGMC

Might it just be easier to make an axle??  The link will show you how these guys building a lakester made the one above for $50.00:

http://kaparich.homestead.com/tankjuly.html

Hope to see you around the 7-8th,

Sum

1FATGMC

Suggestion #2.  Can you make a saddle like bracket that saddles the axle and bolts on to the old mount location with a new mount location on it where needed??

Suggestion #3.  Reinforce the round axle by cutting it and putting it in a larger tube and plug weld it in a few places.

Suggestion #4.  Go back to suggestion #1 in post above and get him to part with $50 and make a decent axle.  Tell him you will take $50 off of the labor bill  8) .

How much weight will be in this trailer??

Sum

enjenjo

I would go with suggestion 2, but welding a pad in that casting should be no problem, AIR they are cast steel.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

are you going to weld the plate to the flat spot on the axle with the axle turned 90 degrees..

or to the top of the narrow flat spot..with bracing to the bottom..

i'm thinking this because of the camber designed in and rotating it, the camber becomes toe in...or toe out...   think of a bent pushrod being rolled..

if i am mistaken.   rotate the axle and see if the wheels wobble???  i could be totally wrong..

there are tapered  shims that fit behind the bolt on spindleand backing plate to bring it back into alignment.. these are full contact shims.. and differnt ones are available...

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"wayne....  the mini van axle would be located in the same configuration under the trailer.

"Then mount some spring pads , build a pair of retaining plates for the U-bolts."

:!:

hmm.. another thought.. still have the minivan leafs and mounting brackets???? why not add some to the sides of the trailer to mount the orignal mini van springs,  less some spring layers to reduce  the strength..

you did mention that is is the right width.... take the trailer to the mountain..instead of bringing the mountain to the garage. there wont be any room left for hot rods..