'96 Chevy 3.8LV6 MPFI wiring problems

Started by Animal, November 24, 2007, 12:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Animal

I got a '96 Camaro given to me. The owner says someone tried to steal it, and got the wiring all screwed up. He had to replace the steering column because of damage, and still can't figure out the VATS (?) deal.  :( So he gave it to me, and I'm thinking of putting the V6/5 speed in a '60 Rambler American 2dr. :lol: I've gotten some advice about getting the original wiring harness pared down, and just thought I'd see if there was an electrical genius-type here who might have a different idea. I want to be able to run a simple switch panel, etc. while running the MPFI for mileage and decent performance.

wayne petty

Quote from: "Animal"I got a '96 Camaro given to me. The owner says someone tried to steal it, and got the wiring all screwed up. He had to replace the steering column because of damage, and still can't figure out the VATS (?) deal.  :( So he gave it to me, and I'm thinking of putting the V6/5 speed in a '60 Rambler American 2dr. :lol: I've gotten some advice about getting the original wiring harness pared down, and just thought I'd see if there was an electrical genius-type here who might have a different idea. I want to be able to run a simple switch panel, etc. while running the MPFI for mileage and decent performance.

ask the orignal owner if he has a copy of the original before it was stolen key...   there is a resister pellet in it... that had to be measured... and a 1/8 ohm resister that matches that measurement inserted into the vats circut... there are 15 differnt values... and it take 4  minutes between each try before the engine will run...

if you want the vats to work and you installed the column   the new key that was installed does not have a pellet  but it did turn the lock cylinder.. the locksmith uset measures the old resister . selects a proper resister blank. and cuts the key from the non vats blank to the new vats blank...

vats blank are about 10 bucks each wholesale.. 20 at a lock shop ..

a variable resister and an ohm meter will usually get it started...after several hours of trying...

Animal

Quote from: "wayne petty"
Quote from: "Animal"I got a '96 Camaro given to me. The owner says someone tried to steal it, and got the wiring all screwed up. He had to replace the steering column because of damage, and still can't figure out the VATS (?) deal.  :( So he gave it to me, and I'm thinking of putting the V6/5 speed in a '60 Rambler American 2dr. :lol: I've gotten some advice about getting the original wiring harness pared down, and just thought I'd see if there was an electrical genius-type here who might have a different idea. I want to be able to run a simple switch panel, etc. while running the MPFI for mileage and decent performance.

ask the orignal owner if he has a copy of the original before it was stolen key...   there is a resister pellet in it... that had to be measured... and a 1/8 ohm resister that matches that measurement inserted into the vats circut... there are 15 differnt values... and it take 4  minutes between each try before the engine will run...

if you want the vats to work and you installed the column   the new key that was installed does not have a pellet  but it did turn the lock cylinder.. the locksmith uset measures the old resister . selects a proper resister blank. and cuts the key from the non vats blank to the new vats blank...vats blank are about 10 bucks each wholesale.. 20 at a lock shop ..

a variable resister and an ohm meter will usually get it started...after several hours of trying...

Wow. Thanks for the info. That is why I came here. Now, is there anyway to just take that system out of play? If I put the engine & trans in the Rambler, I just want the bare minimum of wiring to do the job. Just an ignition/start switch, a couple gauges, and lights. Is that do-able? I really like the idea of the MPFI, and think it would be a sweet package, if I can get all the extraneous stuff removed from the wiring.

enjenjo

You are going to have to keep the computer if you are going to keep the EFI, it will not work without it. You can however, get an aftermarket chip to remove the VATS. You can do away with the EGR system, and the cataylic convertor, but you have to keep all the sensors, CTS, O2, MIT, TPS,ect. The electronic ignition also depends on the computer.

You will also have to add a high pressure fuel pump, and a VSS to what you have in the car now, the VSS should be on the trans you have, but it may have to be changed to accommodate the speedo cable.

You can rework the harness you have, but it may be more cost effective to just buy a stand alone harness for it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Animal

Thanks for the info, guys. I knew I'd need the computer, but wasn't sure which/how many of the sensors I'd need.I really appreciate the input. I need something that gets decent-good mileage for long trips, so I can get out on the road more. They're talking about building a dragstrip here, so I'll probably put deep gears and a four-speed in my Plymouth and use the Rambler for my daily.

wayne petty

Quote from: "Animal"Thanks for the info, guys. I knew I'd need the computer, but wasn't sure which/how many of the sensors I'd need.I really appreciate the input. I need something that gets decent-good mileage for long trips, so I can get out on the road more. They're talking about building a dragstrip here, so I'll probably put deep gears and a four-speed in my Plymouth and use the Rambler for my daily.

the talk on the nhra side is about installing nascar type safer barriers at dragstrips... i would think they would not be needed in the first 40 or 50 feet or so...  the rest of the track...so a jog in the guardrails would be needed to be planned ahead....

Animal

Hell, I've raced stock cars for so long that a little jog in the wall doesn't scare me................... :lol:

wayne petty

animal... you would love what i have sitting around..a 6425  holley 650 2bbl...

thats the one without any booster venturis... just a huge venturi on each side with little holes drilled around the edge...

i have been saving/hording it for almost 30 years .. last time i loaned it out it took six months to get it back... pics as soon as i find the box it's in...

Animal

Wayne, that's definitely a keeper! I'd dig seeing some pics. :D