Dumb question for November

Started by GPster, November 27, 2007, 09:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I think because of the holidays I've missed my usual dumb question this month. I have to keep my record constant so that December will be open. On another site someone dropped the hint that the usual discs that are used on Mustang II front end kits to get 5 lug Chevy wheel pattern are S10 truck parts. To my thinking that might open a back door. There was a Chrysler Prod. disc that was used to get the 5 x 4 1/2" pattern on these applications. Now the BIG QUESTION. Any guesses on a rotor/hub that will fit an S10 ('87 S15 4x2) and use the S10 caliper? I started out thinking that the width of an S10 4x2 rear end was 53" and the 4x4 rear end was 58" or 5"wider. The normal proceedure on the S10 frame swaps is to use the 4x4 rear end, so I got one. It's out of a '92 and it has that brake balancing deal on it which seems to use deeper brake drums so I measured it today, 59 1/2". The normal process on the front to cancel out the 5" difference us to use 2 1/2" wheel spacers on each front hub. My measurement originally called for a 57" tread width on the Jeepster. The 53" that I thought I had was too narrow but I thought I could stand the 58" I was expecting to get. The 59 1/2" that I have is shakey because I didn't want to use anything but neutral offset wheels. I've got an 8" early Mustang axel that's the width I was aiming for but now with all of these measurements I don't know how the front end will be. I probably won't need 2 1/2" spacers to get 57" but anything would need to be a spacer/adapter to match the rear lug pattern if I use the Mustang 8". Ford lug pattern on the front rotor/hubs might ease my mind. My purcase of the 4x4 rear end and a "Jimmy" gas tank hasn't panned out the way I thought it would and I don't think my plans show enough creditabilty to order wheel spacer/adapters. If I cover enough of these outside steps maybe it will all come together. GPster

enjenjo

No limit Engineering has a rotor, part number SS200, with both a ford and chevy bolt pattern, that fits right on.

A 79 Granada rotor will fit by turning down the OD slightly, and installing a .187 spacer behind the inside brake pad. The rotor is only .810 thick, instead of 1.00. You also have to juggle the bearings, S10 bearing on the inside, Granada bearing on the outside.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

"False Alarm" probably/partially/maybe. In the light of day (the Jeepster's outside,remember) the tires that fit so well in the rear fenders with the width of the 8" Mustang rear end just happen to be mounted on an old rusted set of chrome reverse wheels. I had used them because the rims were wide enough to mount the tires properly. That makes that problem closer to being able to be lived with. The front end measures about 54" and there are no fenders mounted so I still don't know about it BUT I forgot. I have a pair of wheels for it with the 5 x 5 1/2" lug pattern. I bought these wheels to fit the '40 Ford brakes on the front axel that was mounted. They're new and powder coated and have "Baby Moons" and I have a pair of VW tires to mount on them. So I'll need some kind of wheel spacer anyway so it might as well be an adapter too so I can use these wheels   ( the "Baby Moons" match the ones for the rear wheels that I have too). I'm getting like an "old woman". I'm just looking for someone to complain to. GPster