Is a AOD about the same length as a C-4

Started by junkyardjeff, November 24, 2007, 01:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have a 351-w/C-4 in my 55 sunliner and thinking about putting a AOD I have in stock in it over the winter,since I have no extra C-4 I cant put them next to each other to see what the difference is.  What I am more concerned about is the mount,is it further back then on a C-4.  Jeff

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I have a 351-w/C-4 in my 55 sunliner and thinking about putting a AOD I have in stock in it over the winter,since I have no extra C-4 I cant put them next to each other to see what the difference is.  What I am more concerned about is the mount,is it further back then on a C-4.  Jeff

Try this site..LOTS of info.....

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperflist.htm
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

junkyardjeff

I have the pan filled C-4 and I have a cable from lokar but dont have the part for the carb yet,I am glad to know the flywheel is different but what is the difference.  Jeff

wayne petty

the throttle valve linkage ratio and ajustment is critical because that controls the line pressures and the shift points... it is a mechanical modulator...    if the legnth is wrong or the ratio is wrong it will burn out the trans just like a 700R4...

so a aod throttle link for the carb moving linkage is necessary..

the converter bolt pattern on the flexplate is differnt..  the distance offset from the block is also differnt as the aod has a lock up clutch in the converter..  

beware there are differnt balance amounts for differnt motors..
0 oz inches.. 28 oz inches.. 50 oz inches

these are not insurmountable problems...but carefull parts selection and understanding will make everything go smoothly...and last a long time...

crosley.. do you at work silver soldier or braze.. the manual levers to the shiftshaft on ford trannys??? i have had a bunch of them come loose over the years and most that i build i do that up front...