54 merc engine swap& front susp upgrade

Started by merc54, November 15, 2007, 01:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merc54

If i drop a ford 351 w and c4 into my 54 merc will i have to change my oil pan& pickup?Does it need a front or rear sump? It doesnt have an engine or tranny at this time.I also want to keep the stock oem ifs but want to drop the ride height?Should i cut 2 coils off each spring or is there a better way?Id like to put a R&P steering conversion on it but there are no kits made that im aware off. Thanks

enjenjo

You need a front sump pan. It doesn't look like it will fit but it does. A rear sump interferes with the steering linkage. Use 289 exhaust manifolds, lots more room than the 351 manifolds. Use a E100 van radiator, a near bolt in. I used fabricated plate mounts, and early Ford V8 isolators.

You can use Grenada spindles, this gives you disc brakes, and lowers the front about an inch. 62 to 64 F100F250 brake booster bolts in, and will accept a dual chamber master cylinder from a Grenada. I would not cut more than 1 coil from the spring.

A C4 fits fine, a C6 will work too, but the floor pan needs to be clearanced a bit.

A Grenada rear fits, new perches needed, the stock Ebrake cables will fit the Grenada rear.

A Cavaler rack can be installed, needs frame brackets and new tie rods. You can also adapt a Grenada power steering box, but it's tight, there may not be room for a column shift.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Geez, Frank, is there any car that you don't know what will fit? :wink:

BTW merc, don't forget that the front end will drop after installing your engine/trans.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tom36

Frank has got it down pat--- I used a front sump pan from an econoline van (and the oil pickup).  I lowered the front end by cutting out the rivets in the lower a frames and putting in 1" spacers.  I kept the drum brakes and used a Granada powerbooster and master cylinder--stops fine. Tom...

merc54

Thanks Guys. What year e100 radiators will fit?Mr enjenjo what do you mean by plates? Are these the motor mount brackets that weld to the frame? Thanks Mike

enjenjo

I seem to recall using a 78 E100 van radiator, and just had to drill a few holes to mount it. But they should be the same from about 75 to 85

The plates I am talking about are here  http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page4.html  part number CS 2117, 2119, and 2120 The last one is similar to what I made. You then just need a flat mount on the frame to set the mount on.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

merc54

junkyardjeff

The original front suspension is easy to rebuild and I rebuilt the box in my 55 using parts from Macs and it was easy too,I am using exhaust manifolds from a 71 or 72 galaxie with a smallblock and they work great and clear everything and have about 5/8 clearance from the steering box.  Jeff