Paging enjejoe!A 54 merc question

Started by merc54, November 17, 2007, 12:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merc54

Thanks joe for your help on my 54 project. A e100 van radiator will work and a 351 should drop into my crossmember mounts, Right? What about headers? Im running a lokar floorshift for the c4.Id like to rebuild the stock suspension( budget) but would like better steering( manual). Do you think i could get a saginaw 605 box to work? I may have to look for a 80 grenada as this car hasnt been driven since 1975 and the rear has to bee questionable. Thanks again for any advice. Regards Mike

enjenjo

Headers. I know early Mustang manifolds fit, so I would say try a set of headers for a Mustang, they may work.

For a steering box, A 605 may fit if you install a longer pitman shaft out of a tri 5 chevy. But your best bet may be a Maverick manual box. I have never tried it, but the shape and mounting is right.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I have a 75ish maverick rear end in my 55 sunliner,I originally got a 78 granada rear but its about a 1/2 inch or so wider and you need all the room you can get in those years.  I bought a mount kit to put the 351/C-4 in my 55 form a rod shop that since went out of buisness but I have been hearing that a mids 80s mustang and possibly truck mounts will work,I know 63/64 galaxie 289 mounts will work with 1 inch spacers inbetween the mount and block.  The maverick brakes look a little small so when I get around to it I am thinking about looking at 68 to 71 torino brakes to put on the maverick rear,the granada brakes might be the same size or slightly larger.  Jeff

paul5456

For a steering box try a late 60's Cougar.  Two of the three mounting holes supposedly a perfect match, you have to drill the third hole.

junkyardjeff

I was thinking about the 605 for the 55 but the rag joint would be inside the firewall but what made me forget about it was the cost,Gearhead cruisers or whatever the company is called sells kits to install them but it was going to be over a grand and have since heard someone was having problems with the boxes they sell.   Jeff

Dave

Quote from: "paul5456"For a steering box try a late 60's Cougar.  Two of the three mounting holes supposedly a perfect match, you have to drill the third hole.

You woulda thought they coulda got it right :!:
Dave