Model A Body Mounting

Started by loiselle, November 01, 2007, 08:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loiselle

:( I am restoring a 1930 Ford Model A closed cab pickup. For some reason, the radiator seems to high so that the hood does not fit right. It fits in the front with some trouble, but does not fit right back by the cowl. It has an aftermarket front cross member from Speedway, but sits flush with the frame rails like the stock cross member does.  So I figure this should be okay.  Does the Model A body sit on the frame rails or does it sit on wood blocks?. If the cab were higher, I think the hood wood fit okay. Help?
Larry D. Loiselle
30maccp@gmail.com
http://loiselle.witnesstoday.org/
Be Righteous Not Politically Correct

GPster

This might be an "off the wall" observation. The trucks I think have a different radiator/grill shell. I don't remember the exact description but it might be painted also. Maybe that's the trouble. Maybe you're using car parts. Just a guess. GPster

enjenjo

I seem to remember wood blocks under the cab on an A truck.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I dont know if this helps but when i stripped my stock model t coupe it had wood blocks between the body and frame. i am pretty sure the body had never been off the frame before so i think the wood was from factory.

31suv

The Model A definatly sit's on wood. Sacramento Vintage Ford is one of many aftermarket supplyer's that sell just about anything you need for the Model A. But you will still have to do some tweekin to git it close.Henry didn't have real close tollarances back then.

Good Luck
East Texas,the right side of Texas

Poida

The aftermarket cross members are only available for a '28 chassis, and the radiator mounting pad sits lower in a '30 - '31. I think it is about 3/8" lower, to accommodate the taller '30 grille shell & radiator. Larry O'Toole from Graffiti Publishing said it was about 1/2", and I suspect that Larry is right.

Whatever the exact dimension, it is different, and is probably the reason for the mis-alignment. Just lop the top off the radiator pad, weld in a new one about 1/2" lower and the problem disappears.

Peter Crain
//www.hotrodfeatures.com
Peter Crain
www.hotrodfeatures.com