Cleaning up engine and tranny.

Started by 48builder, November 02, 2007, 12:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Whiale I am getting my frame put back toheter I took the time to take the tranny and engine apart and out the engine on a stand. I want to make things look better, but not to the point where I have to clean the thing all the time. I'd rather drive than clean.

Anything you guys like for improving the appearance of the aluminum tranny case? I was thinking maybe gray Zerorust or POR-15, or just clean it the best I can and leave alone?

As for the engine, I am carefully taking all the wiring, injectors, sensors, etc off. There is a lot of stuff on an LT1. I'm taking pictures and labeling everything. I may take the intake off so I can paint or powder coat it, and maybe polish the ribs on top of the manifold. Debating whether to paint or polish the water pump, alternator and alternator brackets. My wife wants to use those fuel rail covers than vettes have on the LT1.

I figured on just cleaning the aluminum heads where they show, and cleaning and painting the block black. I'll take the valve covers off and paint, unless they clean up good enough to just leave em as they are.

I bought some POR hi-temp gray paint for the manifolds. I am going to remove the factory heat shield from them so that paint will show.

Clean up the harness and some new loom and I should be all set.

Any suggestions?
Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

58 Yeoman

You've already gone way fancier than me.  I finally painted my Edelbrock aluminum manifold orange to match the rest of the engine.  I got tired of looking at  the stains, etc. on the aluminum.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

Scrubbed my engine and trans with a wire brush and engine degreaser then also used a die grinder with a wire brush to knock off the loose paint and junk. Wiped it with laquer thiiner painted it with black engine paint. Then after i got the front and rear axles painted viper red i decided id paint the engine red too so out came the scotch brite pads and sandpaper and then i shot a coat of the red urethane on the trans and engine.. looks nice.
dave