What to use that's CHEAP and SIMPLE?

Started by GPster, October 23, 2007, 05:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

The only body left on my S15 "Rolling (driving)Chassis" is the floor and firewall. I have been scraping off the mud, dirt and undercoating. I plan on pressure washing this mess but not doing much more than that, Scraping removes the mass of undercoating  but there's still a film of it on the surface and some rust elseware. Sand blasting is too much trouble but I'd like to have some kind of protective coat on this thing. I wouldn't mind under coating it again but is there something that could be brushed on so at least the thickness of the coating could be consistant? Or any kind of coating that would go over a rusty coated surface? GPster

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"The only body left on my S15 "Rolling (driving)Chassis" is the floor and firewall. I have been scraping off the mud, dirt and undercoating. I plan on pressure washing this mess but not doing much more than that, Scraping removes the mass of undercoating  but there's still a film of it on the surface and some rust elseware. Sand blasting is too much trouble but I'd like to have some kind of protective coat on this thing. I wouldn't mind under coating it again but is there something that could be brushed on so at least the thickness of the coating could be consistant? Or any kind of coating that would go over a rusty coated surface? GPster

How about paint or PRO-15! :D

enjenjo

I have some tectyl brand undercoating by Shell. It's silver, and can be brushed on. It can be put over clean rusty metal, and holds up good. I'll get a couple gallons to you of you want to try it. It's a bit stiff, but you can thin it with mineral spirits.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have some tectyl brand undercoating by Shell. It's silver, and can be brushed on. It can be put over clean rusty metal, and holds up good. I'll get a couple gallons to you of you want to try it. It's a bit stiff, but you can thin it with mineral spirits.
That sounds like a plan. Just got a call and I should be able to pick-up a 4X4 S10 rear end and Blazer gas tank on saturday. The third motor is out of the Jeepster  and the "X" crossmember is cut out too. Just about time to start advertising the "Dropped" front axel and the 8" Mustang rear end so I can get those pieces out of the way.I need to shorten the S10 (S15) frame 4" and slide the motor/trans back about 7" before I paint but it's still good weather to stand in the sun and scrape. GPster

midnight sun

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have some tectyl brand undercoating by Shell. It's silver, and can be brushed on. It can be put over clean rusty metal, and holds up good. I'll get a couple gallons to you of you want to try it. It's a bit stiff, but you can thin it with mineral spirits.

Is Rust Bullet still available?  Just curious.
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

river1

Quote from: "midnight sun"

Is Rust Bullet still available?  Just curious.

i bought my last batch thru ebay. you can actually get it in six pack form, comes in six small cans, helps keep it fresh.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

QuoteIs Rust Bullet still available? Just curious.

Yes it is, but I don't handle it.

GPster

I am mostly concerned with something that might bond with the residew of the old undercoating which is why I jumped at the Shell product. Believe it or not the original undercoating did a good job of preserving the frame and I feel is would be easier to keep clean if it was sealed/colored with something. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"
That sounds like a plan. Just got a call and I should be able to pick-up a 4X4 S10 rear end and Blazer gas tank on saturday. The third motor is out of the Jeepster  and the "X" crossmember is cut out too. Just about time to start advertising the "Dropped" front axel and the 8" Mustang rear end so I can get those pieces out of the way.I need to shorten the S10 (S15) frame 4" and slide the motor/trans back about 7" before I paint but it's still good weather to stand in the sun and scrape. GPster

Joe im interested in the rear end.. Pm me a price.
Dave

BFS57

Hello;
All of you listen up! New Product! Just saw this one on Muscle Car. It is a undercoating ready to spray! You can get a air gun that hooks right to the gallon of material! All coming your way courtesy of Dupli-Color!
The spray gun looks kind of wierd, has two hoses, one for air the other you put directly in the gallon can and it sprays really nice!
They used it on the bottom and floors of one of their un-finished projects.
Don't know cost but should be easy to find where Dupli-Color is sold!

Bruce

GPster

I'll look at the Dupli-color stuff but without any visual depth perseption or air compressor I'll probably stay with a brush. Maybe it can be put on that way? Because my laborer (me) doesn't work "by the hour" there's little advantage to making the job go too quick. GPster

sirstude

I put the duplicolor on my Olds with a roller.  It is actually bed liner, and they sell a roller kit.  The roller is about 6 inches wide and also comes with a small pan.  Seemed to go on fine, just not as thick as the sprayed on stuff.  I will put another coat or 2 on the inside of the Olds after I paint it.  A friend of mine has the sprayer and I will use it this time I think.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

I looked quickly at their undercoatings and didn't see it. I'll try under bed linings next.I'm still attracked to that silver "shell" stuff though.It's raining here today and I'm computoring but I don't seem to be hitting the right buttons to get anywhere but here. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"I looked quickly at their undercoatings and didn't see it. I'll try under bed linings next.I'm still attracked to that silver "shell" stuff though.It's raining here today and I'm computoring but I don't seem to be hitting the right buttons to get anywhere but here. GPster

send me an address, and I'll get some to you.

GPster

Quote from: "jusjunk"Joe im interested in the rear end.. Pm me a price.
Dave
Check your PMs. GPster