Source for control arm bolts?

Started by 48builder, October 23, 2007, 09:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I need to get replacement bolts for my control arms. I called my local Chevy dealer, and they have to order them, which means I have to go there first, pay for them, then wait and then go back to get them when they come in. I'd rather just order them and get them. Anybody know of a source? I checked a couple on-line Chevy parts places but could not drill down to those bolts.

I figure I can go to my fastener supplier for the bolts that go throught he bushings in the lower arms, but they would not have the bolts that go through the upper shaft and then the frame.

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Welder Series

What size/ how long do you need?

dw

48builder

Quote from: "Welder Series"What size/ how long do you need?

dw

That's a good question. I was able to get the four upper mounting bolts through a Pontiac dealer. I had to cut off the bolts that mounted the lower control arms, so they are no help to me. I guess I'll take the bushings to my fastener supply and get bolts that just fit through them. The dealer said the factory ones are discontinued.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

GPster

I wonder if they're aircraft bolts? Or as my understanding of the term; having the shank of the bolt dimensionally correct for the diameter and having the shank length marginally shorter than the fastening length needed (the total thickness of the pieces to be joined).The length of the thread should only be one (?) thread more than the thickness of the nut. I'd find the correct bolts so that there won't be a repeat of the shearing wheel lugs episode. Maybe check with someone that does front end alignments? GPster

enjenjo

The lower control arm bolts are Metric, grade 10.6, and I believe they are 12mm diameter.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"The lower control arm bolts are Metric, grade 10.6, and I believe they are 12mm diameter.

Hey, thanks, Frank. I figured someone would know. That will help when I go to the supply house.

Walt
'39 Chevy driver

wayne petty

since the orignal bolts have knurls to keep them from spinning when doing wheel alignments or installing the self locking nuts that came from the factory.

you might want to seat the new non knurled bolts with epoxy.  this wll hold them in place while you do the alignment. ...