SCTA-BNI need help for Speed Week

Started by av8, May 18, 2004, 12:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

I posted this on another board a few minutes ago and it's already heading for the second page with no reponses. Hope I can generate some sincere interest here. It's rather important to one aspect of our hobby.

Each year SCTA-BNI stages two outstanding LSR racing events on the salt at Bonneville, Speed Week and the World Finals. The unqualified success of these two annual events is due in great part to the dedication of the men and women who make up the SCTA-BNI cadre of unpaid officers and advisors who individually devote hundreds of hours of their time throughout each year because they love and care about the sport and want to perpetuate it and its legacy. These folks have paid their dues.

If LSR racing lights your fire and you enjoy the Bonneville experience enough to attend Speed Week or the World Finals, you can be an integral part of the Bonneville experience, part of the crew that makes it all happen -- and pay your dues. You can be a Course Steward -- and get paid for your time! No joke. How cool would that be?

If you are sincerely interested, call Larry Burford, Course Steward Coordinator, at 760-868-2075 (Pacific time zone).

Leon

I went to the SCTA-BNI site to see what that might involve and they don't even mention it there.  Plus, have they mailed anything out yet?  I still haven't gotten my rule book and they aren't returning emails.  
Bottom line - what is a course steward?  Is it something that you can volunteer for one day or must you commit to the entire week?

av8

Quote from: "Leon"I went to the SCTA-BNI site to see what that might involve and they don't even mention it there.  Plus, have they mailed anything out yet?  I still haven't gotten my rule book and they aren't returning emails.  
Bottom line - what is a course steward?  Is it something that you can volunteer for one day or must you commit to the entire week?

You'd think they would include it on their web site, wouldn't you? The request appears in the March '04 Straght Away News.

I'm sure they prefer a full week of your time, but they might be happy with just one or two days if that's all you can spare.

Cword

Rule Books haven't gone out yet.
It's been a topic of discussion on the Land Speed mailing list.
The only answer has been patience, or volunteer to help with the mailings :)

Mike, I'll give the number a call over the next couple days and see what our crew can do to help.

mike
--

av8

Quote from: "Cword"Rule Books haven't gone out yet.
It's been a topic of discussion on the Land Speed mailing list.
The only answer has been patience, or volunteer to help with the mailings :)

Mike, I'll give the number a call over the next couple days and see what our crew can do to help.

mike

Elmo Rodge said he's had his book for a month or better. Sounds like magazine subscription problems, eh?

I'm going to try to gen up some interest in the entourage that accompanies the Tar-Mac crew each year. Maybe even pull some duty myself if I'm not needed on the crew.

Cword

It does sound like subscription problems.

Was Wayno's rule book order just the book?  Last year when I ordered a spare book it beat the bni package (poster, sticker and book) by a couple weeks.

There's dozens of reasons they could be late,  volunteer organizations have glitches like this all the time.  I've a lot more sympathy and patience for them than I do for magazie corporations.

mike
--

av8

Quote from: "Cword"It does sound like subscription problems.

There's dozens of reasons they could be late . . .  I've a lot more sympathy and patience for them than I do for magazie corporations.

mike

Agreed. This crowd deserves our thanks and support for all they do for the sport. I plan to talk to them at the LARoadsters show on Fathers' Day and see if they can use occassional help in doing tasks that involve a lot of activity in a short period of time, like mailing out membership packages.

Leon

If they were still in the Palmdale area I'd ride down there and pitch in myself, but since they moved I'm not sure where they're at.   They said the package mailing would be out the first of April, and since I haven't seen anything I thought they missed me or mine got lost, but i guess I'm not alone.

av8

Just received this encouraging e-mail from SCTA-BNI . . .

"Mike – the "tubes" should be going out next week.  Joann at the office"

unklian

Just out of curiosity,what are the dates involved for Speed Week,
and the World Finals?

av8

Quote from: "unklian"Just out of curiosity,what are the dates involved for Speed Week,
and the World Finals?

Speed Week is August 14-20, and the World Finals are October 13-16.