8.8" Ranger rear end ratio

Started by Topsterguy, October 01, 2007, 10:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Okay, I'm building a 40 Ford pickup using SBC and a BW super T-10 4 speed. I've got a chance at a newer 8.8 out of a Ranger that has 3:73 gears in it. I'll be running 25575x15 tires. What's the feeling about these gears being too low for overall driving, keeping in mind that I tend to travel a lot in my cars? ( I've got a 700R4 in my 32 coupe with 3:55's  using the same 25575x 15's and it's perfect on the hiway). Thanks!  Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

kb426

I'd say goodbye to the 4 speed and get a 5 speed. The overdrive stuff is really hard to beat. I put 3.50's in mine because I'm concerned about gas mileage. I have a .68 overdrive and a 3.35 first gear.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

Topsterguy

Quote from: "kb426"I'd say goodbye to the 4 speed and get a 5 speed. The overdrive stuff is really hard to beat. I put 3.50's in mine because I'm concerned about gas mileage. I have a .68 overdrive and a 3.35 first gear.  :lol:

Thing is I've got this pretty much new 4 speed already and wanted to use it . :?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

tomslik

Quote from: "Topsterguy"
Quote from: "kb426"I'd say goodbye to the 4 speed and get a 5 speed. The overdrive stuff is really hard to beat. I put 3.50's in mine because I'm concerned about gas mileage. I have a .68 overdrive and a 3.35 first gear.  :lol:

Thing is I've got this pretty much new 4 speed already and wanted to use it . :?

can ya run some taller tires?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Dave

I ran 3.00's in the coupe with a turbo 350 and 285/70's and i got well over 20 mpg. I like tomslick think you need taller tires..
Dave

Topsterguy

Okay, so does anyone know the flange to flange ( backing plate to BP)measurement on the newer Ranger rear ends? I've also got a shot at a complete Chev 10 bolt with parallel leafs etc etc that will go right on to my 40 frame for about the same price, but the guy doesn't know the gears but it does have a 4 speed in it - it came out of a 67 canso. . I can't get the ranger measurement right now cuz it's in a yard miles away.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Okay, so does anyone know the flange to flange ( backing plate to BP)measurement on the newer Ranger rear ends?
Since someone might be measuring, I'd like to know the distance between wheel mounting surfaces of '95-'01 Explorer 8.8 rear.  Thanks.

Edit:  Never mind, I found that they are 59.5" wide.
George

tomslik

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Okay, so does anyone know the flange to flange ( backing plate to BP)measurement on the newer Ranger rear ends? I've also got a shot at a complete Chev 10 bolt with parallel leafs etc etc that will go right on to my 40 frame for about the same price, but the guy doesn't know the gears but it does have a 4 speed in it - it came out of a 67 canso. . I can't get the ranger measurement right now cuz it's in a yard miles away.

just had a 97 4x4 ranger in and it appears to be 57".
not a real accurate measure as i didn't have the wheels off...but should be fairly close, +/- 1/2"
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Topsterguy

I measured a 2001 Ranger today and it was 57" outside to outside of the drums - exactly what I need.  I'd heard that the Explorer was wider.

Topsterguy

The update - I've decided to sell the 4 speed and go with a 700R4 again! Seeing as the truck will be driven a lot I figure that shifting all the time will be a hassle eventually, and the 770 in my coupe works just fine!