Source for YOM license plates?

Started by Flathead50, October 02, 2007, 12:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flathead50

I'm looking for a 1950 New Mexico license plate in good condition (fortunately only rear is required here) to registered on my new ride. I've been outbid on a couple already on evil bay, so I'm hoping someone here has a source for a collector or dealer that might have one or be able to get one.

Thanks!
Timothy

DD: 04 Ford F350 PSD
Jeep: 88 Grand Wagoneer 4" lift on 33s 360/727/229
Project: 1950 Ford 4dr Deluxe rebuilt flattie with dual glasspacks

n.c.rodder

Flea market's & swap meets are a good source.

Another thing to try is see if you have a license plate club in New Mexico or know anybody that collects plates. We have one here in Michigan and can usually track down any plate.

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

slocrow

Flathead50; Better make sure you buy both plates, otherwise some other rodder may already have the missing plate registered to his rod and you will be SOL.
Check with your DMV and/or your register to check out any single plate, prior to purchase....................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Flathead50

Thanks for the tips. I never thought about looking for a collector's club. Our state also allows you to call to check the number before trying to register it. Fortunately they've never required two plates, so it's very rare to see two together.
Timothy

DD: 04 Ford F350 PSD
Jeep: 88 Grand Wagoneer 4" lift on 33s 360/727/229
Project: 1950 Ford 4dr Deluxe rebuilt flattie with dual glasspacks

J Man

E Bay, flea markets, swap meets and antique shows is where I usually find them

Crosley.In.AZ

I've bought plates off eBay.  Watch the shipping costs!

Seemed silly buying old AZ plates...... but I wanted them for my faux gasoline station wall in my work shop
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

39deluxe

Bigger swap meets usually have vendors with multipal boxes of old plates sorted by state and year. I bought my pair at Auburn (IN) a few years ago. Ohio requires both plates but it isn't enforced that strictly on old cars.

Tom

Danimal

Is there a 'typical' price to pay for a plate? I see boxes from $1 to $50!! At the swap in Adrian, MI last weekend, a guy had my '54 MI plate that he said was 'restored' but the letter paint looked cream compared to all the other yellow lettered plates there. He wanted $35 but I wasn't willing.

Also, anybody know about TRUCK plates in MI? I thought they were only on the bigger farm types or commercial vehicles. He had a nice one but I wasn't sure if I could use on our 1/2 ton.

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "Danimal"
Also, anybody know about TRUCK plates in MI? I thought they were only on the bigger farm types or commercial vehicles. He had a nice one but I wasn't sure if I could use on our 1/2 ton.

Automotive plates in 1954 had 2 letters-2 numbers-2 numbers. Truck plates were the opposite, 2 numbers-2 numbers-2 letters. You can use either one for your truck, the Secretary of State doesn't care which one you use. 54 plates were dark blue base with yellow numbers.

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Danimal

Thanks. The guy had 1 TRUCK plate and I thought it was cool but didn't want to cough up and not be able to use it.

Dave

Last year at the januray or feburary kzoo swap ( i forget wat month it is) Maybe its march.. Ha Ha anyway i passed on a pair of 32 plates.. and a single. the pair was like 45 bucks and needed paint.. No biggie i could have painted em.. The next week i watched a pair go on ebay for like 250 bucks..
Ya im stupid.....
Dave
ps: i really didnt want to use em i was looking to make money  :?:  :?: