Gotta get me one of these

Started by jaybee, October 08, 2007, 03:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Here http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/16/gm-introduces-their-first-ever-purpose-built-nascar-engine/ is an article about the new GM racing engine for NASCAR.  Now, completely ignoring the fact that none of the cars look anything like stock, that this is a move toward common template engines to match the common template bodies, and that the current generation of Frances seems intent on destroying the sport they inherited, this is a pretty neat piece.  Click on the pic to get to the gallery.  This engine is very slick with identical intake & exhaust ports, staggered valves, and a camshaft that sits way up high in the block.  The production LS-series engines are pretty darn good as well, so you have to feel pretty good about the future of the pushrod V8.  When Ford came out with their mod motor I thought they made the right decision to go with OHC technology.  Now it looks as if they have an overly complex, physically large, high production cost engine of limited cubic capacity.  Eventually Ford will need to fund a racing engine of very similar architecture to what you see in the link.  With a new Corvette Z06 capable of 30mpg on the highway AND 505hp under the hood, does the future hold a new wave of pushrod V8 ground pounders from the Big 3?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dave

Quote from: "jaybee"Here http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/16/gm-introduces-their-first-ever-purpose-built-nascar-engine/ is an article about the new GM racing engine for NASCAR.  Now, completely ignoring the fact that none of the cars look anything like stock, that this is a move toward common template engines to match the common template bodies, and that the current generation of Frances seems intent on destroying the sport they inherited, this is a pretty neat piece.  Click on the pic to get to the gallery.  This engine is very slick with identical intake & exhaust ports, staggered valves, and a camshaft that sits way up high in the block.  The production LS-series engines are pretty darn good as well, so you have to feel pretty good about the future of the pushrod V8.  When Ford came out with their mod motor I thought they made the right decision to go with OHC technology.  Now it looks as if they have an overly complex, physically large, high production cost engine of limited cubic capacity.  Eventually Ford will need to fund a racing engine of very similar architecture to what you see in the link.  With a new Corvette Z06 capable of 30mpg on the highway AND 505hp under the hood, does the future hold a new wave of pushrod V8 ground pounders from the Big 3?

Sure and they all look alike and will look like nascrap cars too. COT = make the production cars look like one and that =  $..
Gee wasnt there a series where all the cars were = :idea:  :?:  :?:  :?:
Dave :wink:  :arrow:
oh ive got to edit this.. i premeber now IROC...

rumrumm

If they go too far, there will not be any use calling any car by its make. Right now, it has progressed to the point that the engine is the only thing that distinguishes the COT Chevy from a Ford from a Toyota from a Dodge. A common engine will destroy all that is left. It will become a team sport like football.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

unklian

Expensive Cookie Cutters on wheels.

They should have stayed with their earlier rules,all the valves in line,
angle specified,no welding on the heads,approved castings only.

A new manufacturer (Chrysler) wanted to run a different design,
splayed valves.NASCAR wants more manufacturer involved,so
everyone has to develop new motors from scratch,and obsolete
their existing inventory.  $$$$

A few years later,Toyota wants to play,the cycle repeats itself. $$$$$$$$$

Like Smokey said "Follow the Greenies".

jaybee

All true, but what if they put even some of that technology into a street car?  That's my point, really.  The LS engines are head and shoulders above the SBC because they have identical straight, unobstructed ports that flow really well without having to be so huge that they kill low & midrange.  How much life is left in the pushrod V8 with a proper dose of modern CAD techniques, metallurgy, and all the other technology that just wasn't available years ago?

Flipper

rumrumm

Jaybee, I completely agree with you about the new generation small blocks--if I ever build another rod, an LS engine would be my first choice.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "jaybee"Here http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/16/gm-introduces-their-first-ever-purpose-built-nascar-engine/ is an article about the new GM racing engine for NASCAR.  Now, completely ignoring the fact that none of the cars look anything like stock, that this is a move toward common template engines to match the common template bodies, and that the current generation of Frances seems intent on destroying the sport they inherited, this is a pretty neat piece.  Click on the pic to get to the gallery.  This engine is very slick with identical intake & exhaust ports, staggered valves, and a camshaft that sits way up high in the block.  The production LS-series engines are pretty darn good as well, so you have to feel pretty good about the future of the pushrod V8.  When Ford came out with their mod motor I thought they made the right decision to go with OHC technology.  Now it looks as if they have an overly complex, physically large, high production cost engine of limited cubic capacity.  Eventually Ford will need to fund a racing engine of very similar architecture to what you see in the link.  With a new Corvette Z06 capable of 30mpg on the highway AND 505hp under the hood, does the future hold a new wave of pushrod V8 ground pounders from the Big 3?

......and seven of the eight "new"  RO-7 engines that ran Talledega last weekend "blowed up"...

I would guess a little more development is called for.

A lot of the things that are included in the new engine are, simply, things that engine builders have been doing to the "old" SB-2 engines - such as oil squirters that spray the underside of the pistons and lower cylinder areas.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

enjenjo

Who would of thought 20 years ago that we would be driving 4 cam engines in a street car, and pushrod engines would be for racing :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"Who would of thought 20 years ago that we would be driving 4 cam engines in a street car, and pushrod engines would be for racing :shock:

You said a mouthful!

ONE37TUDOR

If you removed the Chevy valve covers and asked 100 people what make of motor that is - I just wonder how many would say it looks like a modern Ford motor???

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT