chevy mechanical fuel pump install tip...

Started by wayne petty, October 07, 2007, 12:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

ok guys... heres a tip to make installing mechanical fuel pumps quick and easy...  yea.. i know about the bolt in the front hole thing... this is even faster....  

first a bit of theory...  

the fuel pump eccentric is on the cam.. it is on the non push side at #1 tdc compression. so pull the sparkplug and bump it till you get compression on #1.  or pull the #6 and then go one more turn on the crank...  

one the pump is off..  and you have glue the gasket to the new pump face with super weather strip adhesive.. and when it is set... disconnect the battery... pull the dip stick. run it down from the to behind the alternator and flat into the opening.. work it in front of the pushrod.  you can then push the fuel pump in the hole using the fuel pump lever to push the dipstick back agenst the pushrod and drop it in..  pull the dipstick and bolt it in...

once you try the idea you'll love it...  

share it.. amaze friends...

i have spent many grimy hours trying to get that pushrod back until i figured this out...

tomslik

wayne, i use 08088 spray trim adhesive and an old snap-on tool box drawer removal tool (looks like a feeler gauge, sorta) IF the da,mn thing doesn't have a air pump.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"an old snap-on tool box drawer removal tool (looks like a feeler gauge, sorta) IF the da,mn thing doesn't have a air pump.

I use this removal tool for lip seals on transmitten piston installs

8)

:T)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

hmm drawer tool...

the dip stick fits down past both the alternator and the air pump..which is why i  warned to disconnect the battery. fixing the fuel pump does no good if you let the smoke out of the fuseable link down by the starter.

348tripower

Quote from: "wayne petty"hmm drawer tool...

the dip stick fits down past both the alternator and the air pump..which is why i  warned to disconnect the battery. fixing the fuel pump does no good if you let the smoke out of the fuseable link down by the starter.

I'm still healing from the watch to the alternator burn. Real hot real fast! :shock:
Don Colliau

wayne petty

Quote from: "348tripower"
Quote from: "wayne petty"hmm drawer tool...

I'm still healing from the watch to the alternator burn. Real hot real fast! :shock:

instruction # 1 open box....