FWD engine to make RWD

Started by J Man, September 26, 2007, 04:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Man

Has anyone ever used a engine out of a FWD car and put it in the rear to make a project a rear engine RWD car?

enjenjo

Yes, GM did. They called it a Fiero.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

When I was on the '99 Power Tour this Camaro was around at most of the stops.  I don't know much about it and never crawled under it to take a look.  Sounded really good and he popped the front wheels off the ground in the motel parking lot a few times.
George

unklian

Quote from: "J Man"Has anyone ever used a engine out of a FWD car and put it in the rear to make a project a rear engine RWD car?

Toyota did it with the MR2.

Actually,the Fiero and MR2 are mid engined.
The Corvair and VW Beetle were rear engined.

48builder

Quote from: "J Man"Has anyone ever used a engine out of a FWD car and put it in the rear to make a project a rear engine RWD car?

There's a car around the east I have seen where the guy took a Olds Toronado and put the engine in the trunk. I think it is a Studebaker he put it in. I just saw the car at the Burlington NSRA show. It is painted yellow primer. I ran into the guy at a McDonalds near Syracuse 5 or 6 years ago. I think the car is in New Hampshire now. It is an intersting car.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Crosley.In.AZ

several Hotrods have been built like that.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Jokester

A guy at the Old Marais show in Ottawa, KS last year had a deuce roadster with a Buick 3.8 FWD setup in the back.  Very nice.  Under the hood he had a weedeater mounted with the shaft directed towards the back of the car.  I think that part was fake.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Uncle Bob

Late '60's/early '70's Russ Meeks in Portland, Or.  built a show winning, full fendered Model A roadster with a Toronado drive train in the rear.  Body tilted up to show the tube frame in all it's glory.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Carps

Quote from: "unklian"

Toyota did it with the MR2.

Actually,the Fiero and MR2 are mid engined.
The Corvair and VW Beetle were rear engined.

Pretty much all Toyota engines are designed so they may be used in any application, that is transversley mounted or logitudinally mounted.

The MR2 application was simply done by relocating the engine and trans from front to rear, using pretty much all the same drivetrain parts.  Only the suspension changes.  However the same engine is easily turned around for use in commercial vehicles and other applications where it drives from front to rear wheels.  They can also be equipped with a centre differential in the trans to allow drive to all four wheels.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.