Decal on hood of Trans AM

Started by teal32, September 18, 2007, 06:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teal32

A good friend has all original '68 Trans Am. On the way home from a car show a couple of weeks ago, he had to go thru a terrible rain storm. He had been driving about 2 hours, so the hood was hot. When he got home, he noticed that the edges of the decal on the hood were starting to lift in some spots. He asked me post this question. Is there any way to fix the edges or does he have to remove the entire decal and replace it? Thanks for any help.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

enjenjo

I know of no sure way to fix it. If the adhesive has released, it is all about to fail, and any repair attempt would likely be futile.

My only thought would be to stick the loose edges down with super glue, but I fear it won't last.

I think replacing the decal is the only sure way to get a lasting job.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

teal32

Thanks for the info. I had thought about super glue, too. But, I was afraid of what it might do to the paint, if he ever had to replace the whole decal. Probably have to repaint it anyway if it came off.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

Bob C

First year for the Trans Am was 1969. There is no way to repair it that I know of. If came loose it was from improper installation and the rest wil probably come loose too. I would replace it.
Bob

Dave

well you being a team smart member  you should know that alls ya gotta  do is get some of that thier clear box type tape and lay it on the edges then for best adhesion wait like a day letting it bake in the hot sun then wet sand er with 1500 and clear it.. It may take like 6 coats to cover the edge of the tape but after you wet sand er again and rub it out it will look * (ha that post about the word * got closed on the hamb) If your having trouble pikturing this PM emsjunkie.. He is from texas and they do it all the time.. The bottom line is its all gonna fail in due time..
Dave
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Rayvyn

Quote from: "teal32"A good friend has all original '68 Trans Am. On the way home from a car show a couple of weeks ago, he had to go thru a terrible rain storm. He had been driving about 2 hours, so the hood was hot. When he got home, he noticed that the edges of the decal on the hood were starting to lift in some spots. He asked me post this question. Is there any way to fix the edges or does he have to remove the entire decal and replace it? Thanks for any help.

Stop at Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, or your favorite over the counter parts store, and pick up a roll of gold peel and stick pinstriping from the tuner glitter and gold chain aisle (where Dave shops).

Rub the underside of the decal edges with a little of that post-it glue stick stuff that kids use for projects and press them down onto the hood. This will hold them down until you go all the way around the edges with the overlapping pinstriping.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Harry

And keep the mullet away from the sticky stuff.

oiler

Just my opinion but Rayvyn came up with a * good idea