alternator and starter info pdf's

Started by wayne petty, September 07, 2007, 05:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

being bored i have bookmarked a yahoo random link generator and this popped up

http://www.delcoremy.com/Form_download.htm

it has a ton of infomation abour starters and alternators..delco units mostly.. but the core guide has all brands listed...

for those people who just love to fill their hard drives....

an empty hard drive is like an empty desk/toolbox, nothing there to work with.

at the back of the tech manual there is a huge section on how to wire alt/starter systems properly.

and while i am on the subject...

i saw the pic of 974 with the heads off and the starter shown..

does anybody else use a ford starter relay to power their starters with a jumper wire between the starter bat post and the solenoid directly. with the remote solenoid the main cable to the saterter does not have any power on it except when the remote solenoid is engauged..

starter solenoids can take as much as 50 Amps to pull the plunger in, that shoves the pinion gear into the flywheel teeth before the disc contact can close spinning the armature.

think of how it is wired..     battery to the ign switch through a N safety switch then all the way back to the starter...   50 amps...

mopar uses a relay that only energises the solenoid on the starter.  this works well also   but still there is power running down the battery cable to the starter. just waiting to get shorted out on the headers...

think of the lincoln 460s that used a gm type of solenoid on top of the starter. with that little strap between the  bat post and the s term.

planetary gear reduction starters (lightweights) also have a huge solenoid  that can draw close to 50 amps.. i've measured it with an amp clamp.

oh well that enough rant for now....   enjoy...

and guys .... rosin core solder to solder wires  not acid core... the acid will eat the copper wires and they wil get brittle and fall off...

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "wayne petty"does anybody else use a ford starter relay to power their starters with a jumper wire between the starter bat post and the solenoid directly. with the remote solenoid the main cable to the saterter does not have any power on it except when the remote solenoid is engauged..

I did that as an anti-theft (hopefully) deterrent.  .....The remote solenoid is mounted where it is not easily accessed, and it is activated by a hidden momentary switch.  .....(The starter is difficult to reach on this vehicle, making jump starting very difficult.)

Turning the key to the start position activates the solenoid on the starter, causing the audible "CLICK", as if the battery is weak, but the starter does not turn.

Activating the hidden switch while turning the key to the start position, causes the starter to engage the flywheel, and crank the engine.

I realize that not much will stop a determined thief, but I may discourage an amateur.

PS - Thanks for the link, Wayne!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!