External tranny filter

Started by 48ford, September 01, 2007, 08:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Every time I take a pan off an automatic tranny there is crud in the pan,I know this is normal.
The question is ,Do the external filters that are spin on oil filters, filter this stuff out?
and are there any negative sides to having one?
Or am I just creating work?
Thanks Russ

1FATGMC

Quote from: "48ford"Every time I take a pan off an automatic tranny there is crud in the pan,I know this is normal.
The question is ,Do the external filters that are spin on oil filters, filter this stuff out?
and are there any negative sides to having one?
Or am I just creating work?
Thanks Russ

I don't know for sure, but I run an external filter along with the pan one and when I've dropped the pan it has always been very clean and the fluid has also always looked very good.  I've run a 700R4 like this along with a secondary cooler for 140,000 miles now with no problems.  I can't say that there was nothing on the bottom of the pan, but I don't remember anything that caused me worry.

c ya,

Sum

Leon

What kind of filter you running?   I have a couple remote oil filter housings that take Chevy filters and wouldn't mind using one of them.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Leon"What kind of filter you running?   I have a couple remote oil filter housings that take Chevy filters and wouldn't mind using one of them.

A Napa on one of the Summit housings,

Sum

wayne petty

yea i know  wayne again...

in some trannys  the cooler return line lubes the rear case bearing and the sprag. maybe more..   going forward the sprag at least in c4/c6 trannys is overrunning... it is this way in bw35's  since i dont do trannys for a living anymore it's been almost 25 years since i worked every day in a tranny shop i have not kept up with newer stuff lube paths.

i do know that if you really want a tranny to live keep it under 180F , you do that by installing a big remote cooler.. my brother in law, a plumber had 2 sending units on his tranny in his overloaded camper special.  one in the cooler return line and another into the side of the pan. with a switch...