Driveshaft Intermediate Bearing Q

Started by C9, August 19, 2007, 12:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

My daughter got a nice little Ranger pickup a few weeks back.
Club cab, 6' bed, etc.

We're noticing a vibration that comes in at 60 mph and smooths out a couple mph faster.

I thought at first it was a bad balancing job on the new tires we just put on, but re-balancing didn't help.

This morning I checked the wheels and tires for runout and they were ok.

Took a look at the driveshaft to see if it had too much runout and to my surprise found a two piece driveshaft.

The intermediate bearing looks to be fairly sloppy and I'd guess they're not supposed to be that way.
(First one I was ever involved with.)
It moves around quite a bit inside what looks like a seal . . . as viewed from the rear.

The vibration is definitely coming from the drive train area, we jacked up the truck and spun it up to 70 mph and could feel the vibration come and go.

I would think that a bad intermediate bearing would vibrate at any speed, but apparently not.

Do they tend to come in and out of vibration like a mis-balanced tire will do sometimes?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Leon

Crosley.In.AZ

U-joints can seem OK and tight ..... yet not be in good shape.  Sometimes remove the drive shaft and check is the answer.

Watch the center carrier bearing for looseness.

photo post indicates a carrier bearing that was allowing the shaft to move and cause vibrations.  Photo ; the bearing is slid back from where it should be
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

Quote from: "C9"My daughter got a nice little Ranger pickup a few weeks back.
Club cab, 6' bed, etc.

We're noticing a vibration that comes in at 60 mph and smooths out a couple mph faster.

I thought at first it was a bad balancing job on the new tires we just put on, but re-balancing didn't help.

This morning I checked the wheels and tires for runout and they were ok.

Took a look at the driveshaft to see if it had too much runout and to my surprise found a two piece driveshaft.

The intermediate bearing looks to be fairly sloppy and I'd guess they're not supposed to be that way.
(First one I was ever involved with.)
It moves around quite a bit inside what looks like a seal . . . as viewed from the rear.

The vibration is definitely coming from the drive train area, we jacked up the truck and spun it up to 70 mph and could feel the vibration come and go.

hi again guys..

be sure to check the trans output shaft bushing.
if you get more than a tiny bit of up down movement the drive shaft will viberate just like you describe.   one does have to pull the rear housing and drive shaft to properly change the bushing and rear tranny seal if it is an automatic. be sure to pick up a rear housing gasket and speedo seals.    if the yoke is damaged where the bushing rides agenst it will have to be changed.   feel it once you have the drive shaft out. before you order any extra parts. as that will be the most expencive part.

wayne

enjenjo

Boy, I haven't seen than name in a while. Welcome back Wayne.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "wayne petty"hi again guys..................
wayne

Hi Wayne, so glad to see you back on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you see where your Muncie transmission set a new world record at Bonneville????????????

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-index.html

I decided to power my lakester with a bike motor, so the transmission went into Hooley's car and ran the last 3 years in it.  We switched to a G-Force transmission this year as we were worried the Muncie might not take the 800+ HP the car is making but it was still in good shape last year.

Sure hope you are back on the board for good.

Sorry C9 for deviating from your question,

Sum

C9

Thanks guys.

Gonna try to get it changed out this weekend.

I'll take a look at the tailshaft bushing while I'm at it.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.