Anyone else having the sweats?

Started by phat46, May 12, 2004, 08:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

It's that time of the year again. I was in the shop tonight and was putting the fuel line under my project truck. The entire bottom of the truck and frame was cover in a film of water. This seems to happpen once a year when the weather warms up, it was 86 here today. I am assuming that the floor of the shop is still relatively cool and the difference in the air temp causes the water in the warmer air to condensate on the colder steel. Does anyone have a solution to this? I was thinking of a fan to circulate the air along the floor and maybe help warm it up. i don't need to fight anymore rust on this thing.

Pep

From where I sit, we are now entering winter but I can relate to the humidity issue you raised. I can''t think of any other way to overcome this without an air conditioner that will extract it from the air... Bare metal is the first to suffer but if the metal is painted, I can't see too much to worry about.
See Ya
Pep

GPster

Would say that the best cure would be something like Crosley is doing. He's putting in a heat pump in case it gets too cold in the winter (Arizona?) and as an added benifit ther will be air conditioning in the summer (March to November). An a/c would probably be a benifit if you ever plan on building a "Paint Booth" but make sure it's big enough to off-set the air exhaust. Around here it questionable weither stuff rusts faster inside or outside. GPster

Mikej

Do you keep your garage above freezing in the winter?

Charlie Chops 1940

I get that quite badly in the house garage, but I recently put an insulated overhead garage door and it seems mucsh less this spring. I'm hoping it goes away alltogether when I install the insulated service door...sometime soon. This garage doesn't get heated either.

My work shop is very well insulated and heated  to at least 45 degrees F all winter. Never a problem as I don't leave it open to the elements much.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat46

Quote from: "Mikej"Do you keep your garage above freezing in the winter?

Not all winter, I do heat it when I'm out there, but it might be only 2 days out of 3 and then only for a few hours. It might be better to leave the heat on all the time, but the price of natural gas went sky high this past winter, and I'm a cheapskate.
Air conditioning??? In the shop???...In Michigan??? I can just hear the wife now!!!!   :shock:

Mikej

I found that if I keep the garage at just above 32 that I don't have the moister problem,after the first year of having the same thing your is doing. Considering the cost of my car, I figured I could afford the cost of a little heat.

purplepickup

I agree with Charlie, you've got to keep the hot humid air from getting to the cold stuff in your shop.

I've seen two year old harleys with rusty chrome and oxidized aluminum just because they were stored in buildings that allowed for condensation.  Cars that had a little road salt before they got stored literally rusted holes in them in a very short time.  

My shop is very well insulated and sealed up so the outside air can't get in.  On those days when it's hot and humid and the shop is cool, I don't open up any doors or windows and everything stays nice and dry.  

Unfortunately my storage buildings aren't as well sealed and on those days when the temp and humidity changes quick things get moist.  I've got one polebarn that hasn't got any insulation at all in it yet and on those condensation days it drips so much from the metal roof that you'd think it's raining inside.  It's getting insulation this year.
George

Glen

Its wierd to hear you guys talk about this stuff.

It is not unusual to have a humidity level here of 6% or 7%, you guys must be living in 80% humidity

phat46

you guys must be living in 80% humidity[/quote]

yeah sometimes it falls that low...... :lol:

Dave

Quote from: "phat46"It's that time of the year again. I was in the shop tonight and was putting the fuel line under my project truck. The entire bottom of the truck and frame was cover in a film of water. This seems to happpen once a year when the weather warms up, it was 86 here today. I am assuming that the floor of the shop is still relatively cool and the difference in the air temp causes the water in the warmer air to condensate on the colder steel. Does anyone have a solution to this? I was thinking of a fan to circulate the air along the floor and maybe help warm it up. i don't need to fight anymore rust on this thing.

I had the sweats pretty bad last nite. Maybe I should have stuck with the beer after I got home instead of the gin ?
Dave :-o