Need a good mig welder

Started by moparrodder, August 15, 2007, 11:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparrodder

I need to get a good mig welder, I don't have much experience with one and have been looking at the Millermatic 140 auto set and the millermatic 180 and the Hobart handler187.  I want to use it on small gauge sheet metal up to quarter inch steel.  I like the simplicity of the 140 auto set but don't know if it is big enough for quarter inch material, and they have a 50 dollar rebate right now. I just don't know what way to go. I was wondering if some of you have had any experience with any of these?  I am not going to use it every day like a welding shop would but still want a good quality one that will work when I want it to.  Thanks for any help.    

Bill

enjenjo

I like Miller welders. I would go for the 180 If I was buying one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

I have a Lincoln Weld-Pak.
I bought it about 12 years ago. and have welded just about everything I needed on my race cars and my '34  with it. I have a Lincoln "cracker box" stick welder for the bigger stuff.
but I have used Miller and Hobarts too, they are all good welders.

just my .02

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

35WINDOW

I have two Lincoln Welders, one is a Pro Tig 185 and a SP-175-you can buy the Pro Mig 175 at Lowe's very reasonably (and have a place to get supplies on Sunday)-just a thought-

Crosley.In.AZ

you will probably be Ok with any of the mentioned welders...

when you weld the heavier material with a lighter welder , it is best to put some heat into the metal first with a gas torch first.. that is what I did till I could afford a larger welder.

I use a Lincoln SP100 unit for light work and the Miller 210 for the heavy stuff
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

There is a used (little?) Miller 180 on the Ol' Skool site for $1,000.00. I can get the particulars but I'm headed out of town til tomorrow evening. It's somewhere in Wisc. More if you're interested. GPster

GPster

Sorry, it's a Syncrowave TIG . Now with a cooling tower. No interest there. GPster

crdnblu

I'd suggest trying HTP America, Inc., as I did.  I've been VERY satisfied w/ my 10 yr old HTP Mig 120 (now discontinued.)  You can't beat them in price & feature compariisons w/ their copper core & gear drive, IMHO.  Check out their current Mig 140 offering for your needs

(Since I'm a newbie, I can't post their site for you; maybe someone else can. Sorry.)

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "crdnblu"I'd suggest trying HTP America, Inc., as I did.  I've been VERY satisfied w/ my 10 yr old HTP Mig 120 (now discontinued.)  You can't beat them in price & feature compariisons w/ their copper core & gear drive, IMHO.  Check out their current Mig 140 offering for your needs

(Since I'm a newbie, I can't post their site for you; maybe someone else can. Sorry.)

So why don't you take a little time and tell us about yourself :)

Welcome to the RRT. 8)

lots of great folks, lots of great info and experience around here.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

moparrodder

Thanks everyone for your input. It will help in geting a good welder for what I want to use it for.  I've used stick welders for a long time, Lincolns and Forneys with very good results and have used a mig at work a little and find it much easier to use, and since I scored a motor and tranny for our 40 I need to get going on it and get the motor and tranny mounts welded in before harvest starts.  With some luck I just might get it on the road by the time my bday in July rolls by. It may not be in paint then but I should be able to run it down the road and I can't wait!!!   Thanks again for your input it means a lot!!!

Bill

Mike T

If possible i'd say get the 180, Its nice to have the extra penetration for chassis work.  I had a Miller 135 (110V) before the 180 and just didn't trust it for critical welds on thicker metals. Miller also has a dual voltage mig too, but its a little pricey.  Miller stuff has always been good to me, but Lincoln and others are great too.  I use a Syncro 200 TIG too, and while it was a whole new ball game to learn, you can really make some pretty welds when you get it down with no smoke or grinding, but still I found I still need the MIG for many things.  
Mike
1931 Ford Roadster on Deuce Rails-327/tripower/muncie 4sp.
1937 Ford Tudor Slant-350/700R4