info on this GM tranny

Started by 48ford, August 27, 2007, 07:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Hi,
Has anyone Ever seen or ave info on a manual 4 speed that the 4th gear was overdrive?
I know I had one for a ford at one time,but I don't remember much .
I have a chance to buy one that I want to put in Irenes monte SS,but is it strong enough to hold up behind the 350 that I put in the car?
I now have a 70R4,the car had a305/with turbo350 when it was built in 1984.
Or should I just put the money into a temick 5 speed?
Russ

enjenjo

There is a new process trans that was used in Chevy pickups in the early 80s, an aluminum copy of the 833 cast iron trans, that had overdrive 4th gear.They will bolt right to a Chevy bellhousing as long as you have the one with the large center register, I think it's 5.125 diameter. This is a strong trans, and will take a standard 4 speed shifter, you just flip the third/fourth lever on the trans for a proper pattern.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

i seem to recal that gear vendors or somebody has an OD gear for a muncie that works the same way, ya gotta replace 3rd...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

48ford

Thanks for the replys,
I'm going to just get the W/C 5 speed and do it right.
Russ

58Apache

I have that New Process tranny that Enjenjo talked about.

I had a buddy bring over his Muncie M-22 Rock Crusher. This New Process tranny was so much bigger than the Muncie it made the Muncie look like a toy.

I understand that these are basically the same tranny they put behind the big block Mopar muscle cars in the 60's and early 70's.

It was between this tranny and a TKO 600. It came down to price. I saved well over $2,000.00 by going with this tranny and a Hurst shifter hooked right up to it.

I trust what Enjenjo tells me. He's never been wrong yet.

Steve

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"There is a new process trans that was used in Chevy pickups in the early 80s, an aluminum copy of the 833 cast iron trans, that had overdrive 4th gear.They will bolt right to a Chevy bellhousing as long as you have the one with the large center register, I think it's 5.125 diameter. This is a strong trans, and will take a standard 4 speed shifter, you just flip the third/fourth lever on the trans for a proper pattern.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USED-GM-4-FOUR-SPEED-TRANSMISSION-ALUMINIUM-CASE_W0QQitemZ290155522112QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33733QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hmmmm, here's one now!
er, 2....they must be breeding!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-SPEED-MUNCIE-TRANSMISSION-CHEVY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ003QQitemZ130148123801QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

tomslik

model a vette

There is a guy I see at the Carlisle PA shows who has gears to convert a Muncie the same way Chrysler did it on their OD 4spd. He replaces the 3rd & 4th gears with his custom ones and flips the 3-4 lever so 3 is now 4 and 4 is 3. Kind of pricey at around $1700.
Ed

1FATGMC

I found a good site on the New Process A 883 transmission Frank is talking about:

http://www.classicjunkyard.com/new_process_a833.htm

Some of the info there:

QuoteSince the New Process A 883 transmission is a truck transmission, it is tough. I tested it. I'll tell you about it later. It's only down fall might actually be a plus if your are a cruiser, not a racer. The gearing is not ideal for drag racing. The gearing is :
1st = 3.09
2nd = 1.67
3rd = 1.00
4th = 0.73

Interesting that the gear ratios are almost exactly the same as a 700R4.  I just called a salvage yard in New Mexico and they think they have one that I could pickup for $275 complete with bell housing and will call me back in a while.  I want to make the 38-39 ford pickup I have into a tow truck for the lakester and other stuff and think that would be the perfect transmission for it.  I've looked at the newer New Venture 5 speeds with the granny low and overdrive, but they are too expensive.

Thanks Frank,

Sum

1FATGMC

Ended up they and no one else in Framington, NM or Cortez, CO has one  :cry: .  Looks like they are pretty hard to find,

Sum

slocrow

That's too bad but those ratios are interesting.
Hey Sum, your e-mail bounced. How 'bout a PM.............thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

58Apache

This MIGHT be one on E-bay ...I'd contact the seller. Not enough info here to tell. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Truck-4-Speed-Transmission_W0QQitemZ180033882134QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33727QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

There's a truck specific junk yard here in middle Ohio. I think there's a nationwide location service that some junk yards participate in.

These are mid 80's tranny's so they probably are stored away with not much call for them...until now.

Steve

1FATGMC

Quote from: "58Apache"This MIGHT be one on E-bay ...I'd contact the seller. Not enough info here to tell. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Truck-4-Speed-Transmission_W0QQitemZ180033882134QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33727QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

There's a truck specific junk yard here in middle Ohio. I think there's a nationwide location service that some junk yards participate in.

These are mid 80's tranny's so they probably are stored away with not much call for them...until now.

Steve

I couldn't get the link to work  :cry: ,

Sum

Fat Cat

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "58Apache"This MIGHT be one on E-bay ...I'd contact the seller. Not enough info here to tell. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Truck-4-Speed-Transmission_W0QQitemZ180033882134QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33727QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Steve

I couldn't get the link to work  :cry: ,

Sum

I fixed it. The link works now.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Fat Cat"I fixed it. The link works now.

Thanks Fat Cat, but I can't see a picture of it or description.  I think it is probably like the 4 speed I have now that came out of the '73 I had with a granny low and 1 to 1 4th.  The one I'm looking for seems to have been from around '80 to '85 or '87.

The one I really would like to have is the NV4500, gut they are not cheap and hard to find.

c ya,

Sum