What is the best 700 R4 pan gasket ?

Started by Learpilot, August 01, 2007, 07:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

What is the best pan gasket for the 700 R4 trans that does not leak ? I know it is probability the installer "me" , but I can't seem to stop it from leaking. I have a aluminum pan that is 1/4" thick at the base. I checked it for flatness before installing. I also checked the bottom of the trans. I have the rubber gasket that came with the pan. Do you use some kind of sealer ? I torqued the bolts to 15 lbs. Do you use flat or lock washers on the pan bolts ? I have new metric bolts also.
Thanks in advance !!!
Rick Harris

Okiedokie

I had a similar eperience and after replacing two pans an experienced wrench asked if I was 100% sure it was not the dipstick oring. It was indeed. Leaking on the backside of the tube and I could not see it. Joe

rooster

I to had a leak but it was from where the shift linkage shaft stuck out of the trans, had to get a special tool to remove old seal and replace the  new one.

Learpilot

The dip stick is not leaking. All the pan bolts have fluid on them.
Thanks ,
Rick Harris

58 Yeoman

Back a hundred years or so ago, when I was in college and used to rebuild auto's, we used vaseline on the gaskets, and didn't tighten them so tight that they would warp the pan...just snugged them up.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

slocrow

Rick; Just a thought; maybe it's over filled and running over the case and down from the blow off tube which is top & center. About a 1/4' dia & 2" long. Yeah, I know, the front bolts are probably dry which eliminates that thought but I just had to mention it.
I too thought dip stick but if you're sure then elsewhere lies the problem.
I hate to suggest a damaged front seal and if there was no leak before the pan replacement then it's pretty much the pan, I guess.
I'd put the old one back on and see if it stops. Gaskets can't be that costly these days.............Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Crosley.In.AZ

duarprene paper type gaskets.  they have a sealant compound on them.

10-12 foot pounds is plenty of torque on the bolts.

some aluminum pans can develop cracks along the pan rail edge of the pan it's self.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

40_Tudor

Get a gasket from your GM dealer that has metal spacers in bolt holes so you can't smash the gasket.
GM trans leak fluid out of the shifter o-ring if they sits for extended periods. Converter drains into pan and over fills it.