Anybody know of an on-line coil-spring spec chart?

Started by 48builder, August 02, 2007, 01:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I'm looking for springs for my '48. I fabricated a coil spring rear suspension, and I am looking for something that gives information like unladen height, ride height, wire size, year and make, etc. I checked at Moog's web site but couldn't find what I need.

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

brti

Good Luck!   You would think that there is such a chart except nobody has coils with same spring diameter. Lighter load, smaller diameter sort of thing. :roll:  If you are going coil-overs the different makers will provide what you need but each one will be different. Everything will be determined by the curb weight of your car. I built a T bucket and even with that light of a car it was a bit of a pain to get the right spring rate. I know there are members here who more than likely know more about this than any of the dealers do.
         Good luck,, it sounds interesting,,,, post us some pics.
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Charlie Chops 1940

See if any of the old time parts store(s) in your area has a paper Moog catalog from 20 years ago. The info you are looking for is in them. I have one at home but I'm not there.

What is the spring you have from? That's a good starting point to find a better replacement. I can copy the pages of related springs next week for you.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

model a vette

I have 70's TRW & Moog spring catalogs. Give me some specs and I'll see what I can find.
Give me diameter, loaded weight and type of ends if you can.
Ed

Bruce Dorsi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

48builder

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"

What is the spring you have from? That's a good starting point to find a better replacement. I can copy the pages of related springs next week for you.

Charlie

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. My NAPA used to have to book, but a new guy bought it and the book is gone. If I had known, I would have snagged it.

I built the rear suspension based on a spring from '87 Grand Prix. As I remember, a '67 Pontiac lemans has a similar psring, but with a ride height about 1" lower than the GP. I think the GP was 7.5" or 8.5 inces and the Lemans was 1" less. I just want to verify that before I buy new springs. It's either that or buy a set of lowering psrings for the GP. I have only been able to find them in complete sets, and I don't want the fronts.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Charlie Chops 1940

My MOOG catalog ends at '78. For 1967 Tempests  ther are 3 rear coils listed  :

5401 is 5.530 I.D. with pigtail ends, .531 wire dia, load height of 7.5 ", free heigth of 13.159, load 726#.
This is for the 2 dr http and sport coupe, probably the lightest one. There are 3 other springs for converts, wagons and GTO's listed. There are almost 40 same ID springs listed but none shorter on load height. How does this spring compare?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

48builder

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"How does this spring compare?

Charlie

That's probably the one I'm thinking of.

Thanks, Charlie!
'39 Chevy driver