Off Topic....Camper Trailers

Started by 40, May 09, 2004, 03:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The wife is thinking it would be fun to buy a pull type camper trailer and do some camping with the grandkids....I have a large lakefront lot in Minnesota,my brother-in-law has a place at the Iowa Great Lakes and I have an uncle that has a home on the river so we'd have plenty of cheap destinations.Just wondering if anyone has a friend,relative,in-law or outlaw that might be in the business....Looking on the internet,prices seem to be on the high side in our area compared to other areas of the country.Anyone have any personal experience,good or bad,in regard to certain brands?
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

moparrodder

Quote from: "40"The wife is thinking it would be fun to buy a pull type camper trailer and do some camping with the grandkids....I have a large lakefront lot in Minnesota,my brother-in-law has a place at the Iowa Great Lakes and I have an uncle that has a home on the river so we'd have plenty of cheap destinations.Just wondering if anyone has a friend,relative,in-law or outlaw that might be in the business....Looking on the internet,prices seem to be on the high side in our area compared to other areas of the country.Anyone have any personal experience,good or bad,in regard to certain brands?
Daryle, Have you tried RV Central in Sheldon, Ia or Cylindaer Camper sales in Cylinder Ia?  They have a huge display at the Spencer Fair each year and would be my choice as they are good people and are square shooters. I know Cylinder sells Coachman and one other brand, we almost bought one from them last year at the fair, but decided to save the money for the 40.  It was a 24 ft coachman all decked out with a real queen size bed and everything ya needed to rough it :lol:   Also Gary Volkert who is a car nut sell 4 different brands in Denison at Volkert Sales LLC, he also displays at the Spencer Fair and he donates a lot of stuff for special fund raisers in the area for people in need and that rates high in my book for a small business to do that.  Hope these three places will help, I know that camping with the grand kids can be a lot of fun and a lot of work and a good camper helps ease the work part!  Bill

ONE37TUDOR

Having had 5 different pull type (Both bumper hitch and 5th wheel) as well as several motor homes I would advise you to rent on a few times to determine what you like in a RV and what type of use it would see.
Most bumper type from 19' up advertise that they sleep 6 or 8 little people and most will. Sleeping is not the problem, its when all 8 are up that you have a problem. 8 bodies in a 19' trailer can get old real quick!!!
Also when a person get a few miles on them frequent trips to the little room during the night become more of an issue with 6 or 7 others in there with you.
By renting different types you and your wife can decide what best fits you lifestyle.
I perfer the 5th wheel type because you can get better floor plans with three slides, that makes a lot of difference if you are staying in it for weeks or months. However it takes a good size tow vehicle to handle one well.
Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

Thanks Guys...I think I have a nice used 30' unit located.I have had a couple of motorhomes as well as a couple of travel trailers...It's just been awhile.Hey Bill...Are you and Gail going to make the Show/BBQ on Saturday??
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

moparrodder

Quote from: "40"Thanks Guys...I think I have a nice used 30' unit located.I have had a couple of motorhomes as well as a couple of travel trailers...It's just been awhile.Hey Bill...Are you and Gail going to make the Show/BBQ on Saturday??
Daryle,  If it rains or the wind is blowin30 mph We may make it up.  We are still spraying crop ground for farmers and the wind is raisin heck with us right now, today we had to stop spraying at 11:00 cause we couldn't hold a patern with it blowin 40mph. Put in over 80 hours in last week and that really puts the screws to any fun on the weekend, so right now I can't promise any thing yet.    :(    Bill