Solved charging problem

Started by rumrumm, July 18, 2007, 08:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumrumm

I changed my one-wire 100 amp Powermaster alternator to a three-wire and followed the instructions--white wire to the fuse box Gen wire, and the red wire to the alternator hot post. But it did not help--still put out 13.8 and it would pull down to 13.2 when I turned on the A/C. So, I called Jim at Centech who told me to run the red wire to a battery source coming off the fuse panel so the alternator could sense a load and increase the charge. Tada! It worked. The voltmeter now shows 14.4 and when I turn on the A/C, it drops to 14.3. Now that is more like it. I learned something so I thought I would pass it on.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

EMSjunkie

Good job Lynn 8)

I have never been a big fan of 1-wire alts. :(
read a post somewhere, maybe here, about the pros and cons of a 1 wire.

glad ya got it figgered out 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

I read the article from the link thats was posted and thats pretty much what they said. wired as a 3 wire it has better sensing capabilities but it has to be wired properly (as in a certian point in the harness) to sense the real draw of the system..
Glad you have it worked out. Ive never run a car with air and havent had a problem although the guy that bought my coupe had a problem with the power master  I had on there. I just spoke to him sunday evening and he told me he hat it repaired but it still wasnt right so he just bought a new one and everything is ok. He said he just came back from g/g columbus and he just loves the car. When he first had the alternator problem he told me not to worry it wasnt my problem. Basically he said stuff happens.  He is a good guy.. He called me because he wanted to lower the seats in the car (strange cause im taller) and he did just that but he wanted to know where he could get one of the special nuts for the seats as he lost one cause he didnt tighten it enuff..  :lol:  He is sending a sketch cause I dont have mine anymore,ya you cant buy em but i will make him a couple..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

Learpilot

Go to www.madelectrical.com They have a great article on one wire vs. three wire alternators.
Rick Harris

Crosley.In.AZ

good to see the problem is fixed..

as I recall some one wire units could be wired up "3 wire style"  ??

I have a budget 1 wire unit from Summit on the Dodge.. It does have the 2 extra terminals on it ( covered with rubber plug) .

This alt seems to work fine BUT at idle with lights on , the  engine cooling fan on...... the voltage drops a bit low
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Rayvyn

I just put a 3 wire Powermaster in my Poncho and junked the generator. I had it hooked up as a 1 wire, but quickly switched to the 3 wire set-up. I got tired of revving the motor to get the alternator to start charging.
Very simple hook-up.

#6 wire from alternator "batt" terminal to positive of battery.

White wire on plug to 'start' terminal on the ignition switch, with a light on the dash wired in series. The light will also help prevent backfeed to the alternator, eliminating run-on after the ignition is turned off.

Red wire on plug looped to the 'batt' terminal on the back of the alternator.
This senses the output voltage of the alternator and won't let it over charge the battery.
Since I also junked the voltage regulator, the field picks up the constant 13.8 and there's no dimming of the lights when at idle.

I'm not running A/C or electric fans either, just guages, lights and stereo.
I called Powermaster and spoke with their head Tech guy, and he verified that this set-up is the easiest most efficient. It's been running like a charm ever since. The lights are brighter, the signals flash quicker, and the stereo is better because there's no fluctuation of voltage.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...