Front fender extensions on my '48

Started by 48builder, June 27, 2007, 01:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Here's what I want to do with my fender extensions, and I'm looking for input from you guys. I want the extensions to fit perfectly against the door. My plan is to lay some tape down on the door where the extension meets it. Then I'll put some filler on the extension where it mates to the door. Then bolt the extension to the door and tighten it down. Then take it back apart after the filler sets.

Is that the right way to do it? Then, I'm wondering if I should use the gasket behind it, or just bolt it tight to the door. I want just a nice, clean line where the two meet.

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Dave

That should work walt.. Just be careful and make sure you have enuff tape in the right spots. I did th inner fenders on my 34 to the hood and used tape and filler. Id use duraglass for this too
Dave

48builder

Quote from: "jusjunk"Id use duraglass for this too
Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Do you know if Duraglass is considered a short-strand filler? I've been using a product called ultra-glass, that is milled fiberglass. The pieces are very small. I use it for a first coat over weld seams. My local shop has Duraglass and I may switch to that.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Dave

Quote from: "48builder"
Quote from: "jusjunk"Id use duraglass for this too
Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Do you know if Duraglass is considered a short-strand filler? I've been using a product called ultra-glass, that is milled fiberglass. The pieces are very small. I use it for a first coat over weld seams. My local shop has Duraglass and I may switch to that.

Walt

Its a short or meduim strand filler Walt.. I used it on my 34 and i didnt use any other filler over it. Its tough stuff and water proof too.
Dave