Which electric fuel pump

Started by rumrumm, June 18, 2007, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumrumm

My Holley fuel pump puked out on me this weekend (I should have known better) and I wish to replace it with another brand. What is best? I do not run a return line to the tank but I do run a regulator. I have looked online at Summit and found Edelbrock, Aeromotive, Mallory, and Carter. Anyone have experience with any of these. Is one better than another without running a return line? The guys on Chevytalk.com seem to prefer Mallory units. Carter runs the same vane design as Holley so I am a little wary. I have to run an electric pump since my pinched frame does not have enough space for a mechanical pump.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

donsrods

I have always used Holleys, but am becoming disallusioned. They are noisy for one thing, although this has never been a problem in my rods because I couldn't hear them over the exhaust. But in my shop truck it sounds like I am running an air compressor and people keep asking what that noise is.

I may switch to a different brand on the next project, but not sure to what brand either.

Don

kb426

I ran the Carter street pump that doesn't need a regulator and was very happy. The motor runs in the fuel it's pumping. I guess it keeps it cool and quiet?
TEAM SMART

Okiedokie

Carter is my choice. Have two in use presently, and have used them previously. Don't recall a failure. Joe

Carnut

Currently running a 2yr old Carter in my 40 hoping it will be ok, no trouble yet. Replaced a 30 something year old Carter old style that I thought was a problem but turned out to not be the pump, so old one is sitting on the shelf.

My Coupe still runs a Bendix that's about 40yrs old.

Leon

I've run the carter on a couple vehicles with no problems.

UGLY OLDS

I built the kid's Dodge with a Carter "street pump" ...( The kind that mounts on 3 bolt's/stud's from the top of the pump) ...The car's had 2 since '88. First one wore out. ( Opened it up & found GRAVEL inside :shock: It kept on pumping until one of the vanes broke .)  
Replaced it with the same kind..Both SUPER noisy..Sounded like an electric drill under the back of the car ...Both were mounted on the rear crossmember using the little rubber bushings supplied with the pump & plumbed into hard lines on the inlet & outlet..( That may have caused the noise issue) ..good pumps, prolly could use one to replace my sump pump as far as volume & pressure. just noisy.....Finally installed a stock Ford mech pump, ( from NAPA ) , problem solved..... :D
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****