Stripping Undercoating on my '48

Started by 48builder, June 18, 2007, 12:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Anybody have a suggestion for a good way to remove the old undercoating on my '48 Chevy? In a few small spots I've heated it up with my heat gun and used a putty knife, but that will take forever on the underside. I'm thinking maybe one of those air needle scalers? I don't want to damage the metal doing it.

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

sirstude

I have always just used a stiff putty knife or better yet, a gasket scraper and NO heat.  Usually so brittle that it just chips off.  The heat seems to reset it.  Never found a way that was not work though.  Just roll the body over on it's side on some old tires and go have fun.  :lol:

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

48builder

Quote from: "sirstude"I have always just used a stiff putty knife or better yet, a gasket scraper and NO heat.    :lol:

Doug

Thanks, Doug. I never thought about the heat gun making it stick again, but it does melt it. You make sense. I plan on doing just as you suggest, rolling it over on some tires. Do you think I should weld some bracing inside before doing that? I figure I'll give my son something to do for a couple days and have him work on the underbelly.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Dave

News paper and a BIC lighter.. Oh never mind.........
Dave :wink: