Which trans coolent line????

Started by slocrow, May 08, 2004, 02:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Which is the "high pressure" line on a 700R4? The top or lower line :?:   Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

SKR8PN

You running them to a cooler??????
If so,it doesn't matter which one goes where..........
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

slocrow

Quote from: "SKR8PN"You running them to a cooler??????
If so,it doesn't matter which one goes where..........

I imagine that's correct and yes I am running them to a cooler. Actually I'm running them to two coolers in tandem and I'd like to run the fluid out line to the under car cooler first and then to the radiator so as to send a cooler charge to the radiator to keep the temp down, some. That's why I'm interested in the direction. So thanks and now you know the story...Frank

slocrow

Quote from: "Crosley"both of the lines are pressure lines.

the 'out' cooler line fitting is the lower one.

Thanks Tony, that's what I needed to know....

1FATGMC

Quote from: "slocrow"so as to send a cooler charge to the radiator to keep the temp down, some.

Are you trying to help keep the radiator temp down?  If so I would run the line to the aux. cooler and then the rad.  

If you want to lower the trans temp then I would go to the rad. and then the aux. cooler.  This is the way mine is and the trans temp is hardly ever over 135 without the teardrop behind and about 150 towing it.  Over mountain passes in third with the converter not locked I've seen the trans. temp. go up to 200-210 for a minute or so and at the same time the water temp will go up to the same figures.  Most of the time the water is on the thermostat at 185.

c ya, Sum

slocrow

"If you want to lower the trans temp then I would go to the rad. and then the aux. cooler."

Hummm.......Now that you've asked. When I pulled the car apart last year I noticed a little tranny fluid drip from a non capped trans cooler fitting at the radiator bottom. I questioned the seller and he stated that he switched to a under car cooler because the water temp was too high using the radiator trans cooler. With the aux setup only and a 350 box I seldom ran over 200 (water) even following a semi with a outside temp near 100.
Not wanting to experience a high water temp I just thought I'd go to the aux cooler first, sending a cooler charge to the radiator but you bring up an interesting point. Heat being the bane of all auto trans' one would think that would be my first priority.
With that said, I think I will send the fluid to the radiator first and then the aux giving the trans first consideration. If the water temp is beyond reason with that set up I can always switch the lines at the trans and see what that produces.
Thanks for the FYI......Frank

Leon

It seems if you live in an area with cold winters that you would want the aux cooler first then the radiator cooler, that way it will warm the fluid for cold weather operation, yet cool it (to the engine temp) in hot weather.  ???