Harbor Freight HVLP Spray Gun?

Started by Bruce Dorsi, December 19, 2005, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Quotehope my paint turns out half as good as Glens

I don't know, I use the same type of brush as Leonardo Da Vinci, but my painting doesn't look like his.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Glen do you have  a part number for the metal cups?  BTW great paint job.  I'm impressed  :D .

c ya, Sum

Sorry, I dont have the box.  We have several stores in town here, they sit on the shelf next to the guns so I was able to match them up in store.  If you need one let me know.  Its a nice stainless cup and I think it was about $20.00.  
I can get the stainless cup, cleaner quicker than the plastic cups.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quotehope my paint turns out half as good as Glens

I don't know, I use the same type of brush as Leonardo Da Vinci, but my painting doesn't look like his.

Thats cuz you ain't Italian  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Bruce Dorsi

Thanks for all your responses, guys!

The spray gun is to be a gift for a friend. ...I'm going to the nearest HF store tomorrow to see what they have in stock.

Thanks, Bob, for the link.

Thanks, Sumner, for the work you do on your website.

Thanks, George, for your recommendation of the detail gun, and the photos and info about the cups.

WOW, Glen!!  ...You've been quiet at the RRT lately, but your work speaks VOLUMES!!  ....BEAUTIFUL WORK, as usual!!!  ....Thanks for the pics & info.

~~~~Bruce
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Glen"Sorry, I dont have the box.  We have several stores in town here, they sit on the shelf next to the guns so I was able to match them up in store.  If you need one let me know.  Its a nice stainless cup and I think it was about $20.00.  
I can get the stainless cup, cleaner quicker than the plastic cups.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a couple in Springfield, MO when I go see my mom this spring.  If not I'll get back to you.

Quote from: "Bruce"The spray gun is to be a gift for a friend. ...I'm going to the nearest HF store tomorrow to see what they have in stock.

Have the numbers with you as they have quite a few different guns.

c ya, Sum

purplepickup

Bruce, if you're going to spend some money at the HF store you might as well get 20% off of something with this coupon.  I use them all the time.  http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/showpage_retail.taf?pageid=202
George

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "purplepickup"...you might as well get 20% off of something with this coupon.  

Thanks, George!

Santa's budget is thin this year, so every bit helps. :D

sirstude

Sum,

I will take a look tonight to see which gun it is.  It is not a gravity feed, and I think the tip was a 1.8, or a 2.0.  Haven't had to spray anything for a year or two.  The Impala I sprayed and it was rough, I am an amiture after all, so I sanded and had another guy spray 2 more coats of clear.  My budy with the body shop where I painted it, took a look after I got done and recommended that the best thing I could do is have someone else spray it.  That is why the second guy.  Anyway, after letting it sit for a year we cut and buffed it again, and it is just great!

Doug

ps. this is behind everything else, because I forgot to press the submit button.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Quote from: "sirstude"It is not a gravity feed.....
Doug, I bought one of their siphon feed guns many moons ago and used it once with the same results you had.  Since then I've only used it to wash parts with kerosene and it isn't even good for that.  The gravity feed HVLP's give much better results.
George

enjenjo

I bought one of those too George, on sale for $9.95. I took it home, poured upholstery contact cement into it, and have been using it for that for three years now. It works good for that, and if it plugs up, I'll throw it away and get another one. I think I got my money out of it. :lol:

Bruce Dorsi

I went to HF yesterday and purchased the #43430 gun, as well as the #46719 detail gun (which was on sale for $40).  ....Also picked up the 32oz metal cup and the stand for holding the gun.  ....Everything came out to about $105 w/tax using the discount coupons. ...That's easy to live with!

I guess the most valuable part of the gift will be the print-out of Sumner's set-up instructions from his website!  

I hope my friend will like the guns. ...He's painted before, but never with HVLP.  ...He's also skeptical of most foreign-made tools (me,too!) but I respect the opinions of those who posted their experiences.  

Thanks for all your help, guys!

Merry Christmas!

48builder

Thanks for getting me the small gun and the stainless cup. They will come in handy when I start putting this dumb car in primaer next year. I'm telling you, you are not going to recognize this car. Well, maybe you will, but I am making progress since last time you saw it.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"I bought one of those too George, on sale for $9.95. I took it home, poured upholstery contact cement into it, and have been using it for that for three years now. It works good for that, and if it plugs up, I'll throw it away and get another one. I think I got my money out of it. :lol:

Just found this with a search.

Frank,

Do you just leave the contact cement in the gun? I also bought one of those guns for $10 for the same purpose, but ahve nit used it yet. I'd hate to have to clean it out every time I use it.

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

Quote from: "48builder"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I bought one of those too George, on sale for $9.95. I took it home, poured upholstery contact cement into it, and have been using it for that for three years now. It works good for that, and if it plugs up, I'll throw it away and get another one. I think I got my money out of it. :lol:

Just found this with a search.

Frank,

Do you just leave the contact cement in the gun? I also bought one of those guns for $10 for the same purpose, but ahve nit used it yet. I'd hate to have to clean it out every time I use it.

Thanks,

Walt

Yes I just leave it in.

Carps

I bought a cheap HVLP gun at a swap meet years ago, just to see how it worked out without spending money to buy a 'good' one.

Never did by the good one, but I do love my cheapie and nowadays don't even look at the other high quality expensive old style guns hanging on the wall.

I did buy another HVLP gun with a different tip and nozzle, for primer and a dinky little HVLP touch up gun also.  None of them are high quality expensive models and all cost less than a hundred bux.

Like anything, getting the best from them is down to practice.  I learned that it takes a different 'mix' to get the best 'flow' and finish and it takes care and patience to keep the 'paint build' low for each coat.  I strongly reccommend HVLP for anything you want to use, laquer, enamel, two pack..... just practice first.

Good thing about paint is it's a lot easier to repair the screw ups than with welding or metal work.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.